FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Default OH; what am I doing wrong?????

Skunked 2 days in a row! Yesterday Apr 30 Fishing for LMB on Drakes Creek rocky points, docks, some laydowns with craw-colored chatterbait/creature trailer, shaky head 7" motor oil/chartruese tipped trick worm, white/white splittail trailer spinnerbait . Fished all really slowly. Water temp 55-63 in 4 - 10 fow. Today in coves out of Avondale fished the same lures around same type structure. NOTHING! Left at noon. I'm bummed

Last edited by coveman; 05-01-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 PM

What water temp did you see in the Avondale area? Fished from there to Cedar Creek and back Sunday & Monday and found water temps 57 in the main lake areas and very muddy and 61 back of Cedar Creek. The few bass I caught were very pale. Slim pickings. Meanwhile my neighbor texted me today and said he dropped in at Rockland and stayed in the Rockland cove in and around the marina throwing a shallow crank bait in red craw color and caught 40+ fish. I’d bet it was clearer water and warmer water.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:44 PM

Temp around Avondale was 58. I also caught a few around Rockland Marina last Friday. Looks like I should have gone back there today! Thanks Buccaneer
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Fishing Fool

The fishing has been tough. I know I may have made it sound easy, it’s not. All the fish we caught Sunday were in a wind protected pocket in a cove. Wind would get in there but not near as hard as it did further out. And we fished an area that was maybe 50-75 yards long from 9:30am to 1pm. It was by luck we found them. Just started going down a bank and tripped over our feet and landed on them. The shakey Head and worm we used has also been key. Sorry, but there are some things I keep to myself and that’s gonna be one of them. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 PM

Skillet wins one tournament and now he has secret baits...lol 😱

Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the response, Skillet; just gotta keep after it. I also have a hard time fishing slowly, i.e. I love cranks, and the shaky head is something I'm working on. BTW, I'm sure ya'll had more going on than luck!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveman View Post
Skunked 2 days in a row! Yesterday Apr 30 Fishing for LMB on Drakes Creek rocky points, docks, some laydowns with craw-colored chatterbait/creature trailer, shaky head 7" motor oil/chartruese tipped trick worm, white/white splittail trailer spinnerbait . Fished all really slowly. Water temp 55-63 in 4 - 10 fow. Today in coves out of Avondale fished the same lures around same type structure. NOTHING! Left at noon. I'm bummed
I haven't fished OH much lately but I did catch quite a few last Friday. I fished for several hours in twin coves and caught 2 fish. Water temp was 58. I went to the next pocket down the lake and caught quite a few in just an hour fishing in there. The water temp in there was 64. Every fish I caught in there was in 6 inches of water to 2 feet. The baits i caught them on were a texas rigged rage bug(Strike King) and a buzzbait with a black blade/head with a 4" swimbait. I took the skirt off the buzzbait.

BTW, this is a tip that will help you guys with a buzzbait. I use one a lot and catch a lot of bass on one. I used to miss a lot of fish on a buzzbait. Someone told me to take the skirt off and put something else on. Now I never use a skirt. And it's helped me catch more fish. For some reason the fish seem to commit to eating it better. The baits I use are zoom horny toads, swimbaits, and biffle bugs.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:25 AM

My son and I fished Cairo up Saturday. 2 keepers. Fished mid lake Sunday. 1. Son goes to lower end and fishes weed beds Tuesday. 5 keepers by 10 o'clock and that bite died. Said he threw the boat at them til 2 and nothing. I think I need to start golfing. Lol Never
Old 05-02-2018, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the tips and ya'lls own reports of current fishing conditions and results. But threatening taking up GOLF, no way. I'd rather be frustrated than embarrassed!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Its somewhat reassuring to hear I'm not the only one having trouble. My last 2 evening trips have each produced just one fish.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:35 AM

Coveman, sounds like we have the same disease . . . one speed: "High."

I struggle mightily with finesse patterns, and my attempts to change speed, depth, retrieve are fights against habits learned fishing up north (same as you: crank baits); and spoons, spinners, big profile stuff, and trolling).

I've done myself a favor by switching to more jerkbaits. I still "crank" but the twitch and stop technique triggers more bites, and I can better overcome my habit of just reeling. I'm also getting better with swim baits that don't need a lot of speed to get action on the "boot." Play a lot with weighted hooks or bare. Gonna also start tying on more tubes; killer for Lake Erie smallmouth, and time I got back on that effort.

I'm not lighting the world on fire with limits, but I'm starting to avoid the polecat more often than not.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyyak View Post
Skillet wins one tournament and now he has secret baits...lol 😱

😂😂 It has nothing to do with winning the tournament, if you look back at my post I have been saying the same thing. 3/16 shakey Head with a 4” worm. Y’all know there’s a lot of people that never post and just creep around, and I feel like I’ve put in the work and found something that works extremely well right now that is kind of out of the norm. Fishing tournaments, I don’t need that info out there.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveman View Post
Thanks for the response, Skillet; just gotta keep after it. I also have a hard time fishing slowly, i.e. I love cranks, and the shaky head is something I'm working on. BTW, I'm sure ya'll had more going on than luck!

No problem. We’ve had a rough year of fishing, and got our teeth kicked out in these tournaments all year, starting in January!!! Couple weeks ago we came in 4th in the tournament. This last tournament, most everyone we talked too had a rough day. Sunday we started fishing a little cove across from drakes looking for possible bedding bass, none to be seen, and deezlteck caught a couple 10” bass. Came out of that cove and fished the main lake bank on that side and caught a few more 10 inchers. Went into drakes, and hit a steep Bank with nothing. We were going to head back out to those main lake/river stuff and I stopped the boat in that pocket and caught a few more small fish then got a keeper. We decided to stay there for another 20-30 minutes and deezlteck caught our biggest bass. At that point we decided to stay in that pocket. Most of the fish were in 2-6 fow. With all that being said, it was more luck than being good!! Lol. But as the saying goes, I’d rather be lucky than good any day!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
😂😂 It has nothing to do with winning the tournament, if you look back at my post I have been saying the same thing. 3/16 shakey Head with a 4” worm. Y’all know there’s a lot of people that never post and just creep around, and I feel like I’ve put in the work and found something that works extremely well right now that is kind of out of the norm. Fishing tournaments, I don’t need that info out there.

Just messing with you, you always share what your doing.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
No problem. We’ve had a rough year of fishing, and got our teeth kicked out in these tournaments all year, starting in January!!! Couple weeks ago we came in 4th in the tournament. This last tournament, most everyone we talked too had a rough day. Sunday we started fishing a little cove across from drakes looking for possible bedding bass, none to be seen, and deezlteck caught a couple 10” bass. Came out of that cove and fished the main lake bank on that side and caught a few more 10 inchers. Went into drakes, and hit a steep Bank with nothing. We were going to head back out to those main lake/river stuff and I stopped the boat in that pocket and caught a few more small fish then got a keeper. We decided to stay there for another 20-30 minutes and deezlteck caught our biggest bass. At that point we decided to stay in that pocket. Most of the fish were in 2-6 fow. With all that being said, it was more luck than being good!! Lol. But as the saying goes, I’d rather be lucky than good any day!

It's not luck Skillet. I know it might seem like it because your fishing a lot of water with little success and then bam your on them. That's what you do when it's tough; COVER LOTS OF WATER. The trick is to then assess the situation and figure out every little detail about that spot and recreate it in another area until you narrow it down to which detail/s is making those fish hang out. Once you figure that out you have a pattern.