FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-18-2018, 03:15 PM

Default Old Hickory 2-18

Well folks, hit the water after the frost burned off. Launched at Avondale and ran from Bluegrass to the bottom of Cages Bend and back. Current was ripping. Very few floaters of any significance. Water clarity 8-10”. Temp was 48 in the main run and found 51 in the back of one pocket with incoming clear water from a creek drain. A beautiful day on the lake.
Now, for the fishing. Threw a June bug Ned rig for awhile, no takers. Went to a red craw crankbait, no takers. Went to a spinner bait in that somewhat clearer water in the 51 degree pocket, zip. Very little bait, what few balls I found were in 10-12’ Depth range, probed them with yo-yo rattle trap, no fish with them. Gulls were active on what appeared to be dead or dying shad approx 1.5” in length. Cruised ledges with SI and DI, very little signs of life and would have been tough fishing in that current anyway.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:27 PM

Thanks Buc, I was curious what the wAter temp was. Noticed yesterday it was chocolate milk muddy in a lot of places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Dakota S

Thanks for the post I was wondering about OH.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Last Thursday when it was 70 degrees the water in the back of Bledsoe Creek was 57 degrees.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Last Thursday when it was 70 degrees the water in the back of Bledsoe Creek was 57 degrees.
Nice. But for the rest of us poor bastards working Monday thru Friday this is meaninglessness information.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Nice. But for the rest of us poor bastards working Monday thru Friday this is meaninglessness information.
Lol. I realize I'm very lucky to fish as much as I do. I'm single with no kids and I have a pretty good job that allows me a lot of time to fish. I actually took this job bc the pay is decent and I work nights so I can fish during the day. Fishing is everything to me. I started bass fishing about 4 years ago and it changed my life forever. I'm not that good at it yet but I'm getting better all the time.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 02-19-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:10 AM
Fishing Fool

Thanks for the report from the people that didn’t get to go this weekend. Got a tourney Saturday and gonna give it hell.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Thanks for the report from the people that didn’t get to go this weekend. Got a tourney Saturday and gonna give it hell.

Good luck. Where is your tournament?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Temp Sunday was 50-52 degrees midlake. Didn't make it to the back of any creeks - mainly near the channel. I'd describe the water color as very heavily stained, but not muddy. How to catch em, not sure yet. Was slowwww...
Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Good luck. Where is your tournament?

Old hick out of flippers. It’s the USA Bassin trail I was telling you about. It seems to be well run and some really good anglers in it.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:58 AM

Buddy hit station camp yesterday. Slow to start with plastic and spinnerbaits. Started hammering them when they switched over to red crankbaits thrown into the rocks.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM

Thanks Bucc....That means if the shad are dieing the Cats will be right below gorging themselves.Last year on this day I have a video of us slamming the Cats..You BASS fishermen..Oh well..better luck next time.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennoutdrsman View Post
Thanks Bucc....That means if the shad are dieing the Cats will be right below gorging themselves.Last year on this day I have a video of us slamming the Cats..You BASS fishermen..Oh well..better luck next time.
I thought so also because on more than one occasion vertical jigging a Little George or small flutter spoon through shad schools this time last year I caught bunches of nice catfish. No luck on this trip but my sense is once this current water clarity improves it is going to break wide open. Oh I forgot to mention the lake had to have been up 18" to 2' over normal.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I thought so also because on more than one occasion vertical jigging a Little George or small flutter spoon through shad schools this time last year I caught bunches of nice catfish. No luck on this trip but my sense is once this current water clarity improves it is going to break wide open. Oh I forgot to mention the lake had to have been up 18" to 2' over normal.

It needs to stay up!! And warm up!!! 😉

Old 02-21-2018, 12:43 PM

We went out yesterday..BEAUTIFUL morning and the fishing was pretty good.Started off catching crappie and then a few Cats off minnows under sliding float..Then..9am...The Winds from Hades came in and the Old Man (Old Hickory) got ANGRY... ROUGH water conditions so we headed in and called it a day..Not a Bad morning until then.