FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM

Default Percy Priest Ramps?

Well, now that some of us have some extra time to fish, does anyone have suggestions as to where to launch on Priest, or anywhere else? With the water up so much, not really sure where to go. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2020, 10:45 PM

I went to CH couple days ago, didn't see anyone catch anything but the water was like glass all day. I'm heading there again tomorrow... going to soak up some sun
Old 03-25-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormdunker View Post
Well, now that some of us have some extra time to fish, does anyone have suggestions as to where to launch on Priest, or anywhere else? With the water up so much, not really sure where to go. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
You shouldn't have a problem at most ramps. I used Hurricane Creek two weeks ago when the water was super low and managed. I plan on using Poole Knobs tomorrow though not excited about the prospects of a bunch of people with nothing to do hanging out at the ramp. That's unfortunately one of the worst ramps in terms of bad vibes. They've upped the lighting and security at Fate Sanders rec area but the way the lake is shaped, it tends to attract a lot of debris when water rises quickly -- plus it may not be open yet?? Any time we get a ton of rain, I tend to stick towards mid-lake (Hurricane, Smith Springs). Water is clearer if that's something you're looking for. But, with warm temps here/coming, I'm sure there are some fish on or close to being on beds down by Lamar/Jefferson Springs. That area is, to me, the most productive part of the lake prespawn.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:03 AM

I've never fished JPP, but myself, and my 7 year old, are going with a friend and his 8 year old son tomorrow. They want to crappie fish...another first for me since I was about 12 years old. The only thing I've ever used are minnows. Is that still the best thing to use? And can I go to any marina on the lake to buy some?

I have a feeling I'll end up trying to find some pre-spawn/spawning bass at some point, but I figure I'll give the crappie a try at first, mainly due to that being easier/safer with 2 kids in the boat!
Old 03-27-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennarl View Post
You shouldn't have a problem at most ramps. I used Hurricane Creek two weeks ago when the water was super low and managed. I plan on using Poole Knobs tomorrow though not excited about the prospects of a bunch of people with nothing to do hanging out at the ramp. That's unfortunately one of the worst ramps in terms of bad vibes. They've upped the lighting and security at Fate Sanders rec area but the way the lake is shaped, it tends to attract a lot of debris when water rises quickly -- plus it may not be open yet?? Any time we get a ton of rain, I tend to stick towards mid-lake (Hurricane, Smith Springs). Water is clearer if that's something you're looking for. But, with warm temps here/coming, I'm sure there are some fish on or close to being on beds down by Lamar/Jefferson Springs. That area is, to me, the most productive part of the lake prespawn.

I launched there today for the first time and you can have that place... never seen so many idiots in all my life.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:59 PM

Well, made it out there today, launched at Long Hunter State Park ramp, it was very busy. Water was not up as I expected it to be.Was not a bad color down that way, but went upstream a little ways, and it got pretty dingy. Water temp was averaging around 61. The bite was not too good, at least for me. Talked to one other guy and he said the same. . Yes, minnows are always good, and I wanted to get some today, but thought maybe it would be best to stay out of stores/bait shops. I'm a germaphobe, especially now! Fished with jigs. Did not have as much as a bump. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Good luck, and keep your "social distance" especially if you're going with someone not in your family.