FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-18-2019, 11:17 AM

Default Alphahawk

I have a question for you. I was watching the latest Major League Fishing show and Chris Lane made a comment about smelling bream beds. You have such a vast experience fishing for panfish so I thought about you when I heard him say this. Is this something you have noticed, and if so; what do they smell like? I just thought it was a strange comment and I'm not sure if he was pulling our leg or what?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Before moving here I lived my entire life in Florida. You can definitely smell them when they are on beds. It's a musty sort of smell.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Before moving here I lived my entire life in Florida. You can definitely smell them when they are on beds. It's a musty sort of smell.
Definitely ! Right here in Tennessee ... But primarily in warm weather.. And I bet Buccaneer could smell the Gators on bed (nest) in Florida as well. I know I can ..
TK

Last edited by tkwalker; 01-18-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Now I am very curious about this. I need someone to show me how to identify this smell. How close do you have to be? If I can learn to find this smell on my own then that may be all confidence I need to fish shallow for bass when I'm struggling or unfamiliar with what's happening on a particular lake.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 01-18-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM

Do you have side imaging electronics? If so you can clearly define when you are in a Bluegill bedding area. If in the back of a hard bottom pocket and you see what looks like dimples everywhere you’re in a Bluegill bedding area. Assuming active bedding periods, late May/early June pull out of the area and then troll back in into the wind and you should notice a change in smell as you enter the area of the beds.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I have a question for you. I was watching the latest Major League Fishing show and Chris Lane made a comment about smelling bream beds. You have such a vast experience fishing for panfish so I thought about you when I heard him say this. Is this something you have noticed, and if so; what do they smell like? I just thought it was a strange comment and I'm not sure if he was pulling our leg or what?
Oh yes you can smell them.....I would describe it as a musk fish type smell.....many have said it smells like cucumber or waremellon.....but I’ve not smelled that. It sure makes ones head turn when you smell it. The problem is if there is a slight breeze it can blow that smell quite a ways.....you may not always be right beside it....also you can only smell those beds if they are very shallow. Over the past 19 years I have done the legwork to find bluegill beds and most of the time I can count on most of those beds producing year after year. But by far my best purchase I ever made was a side imaging sonar......and now that I have the Mega si it is even better. These units will put you on bedding bluegill in a hurry. Last spring I fished up in Nickajack Lake for the first time ever with my boat. I had fished a couple of spots from the bank for crappie for years there but never put my boat in the lake. This past spring was simply awesome....finding shell cracker.....red breast sunfish beds for weeks. I did all that with side imaging.

Regards
Old 01-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Son of a gun. I’ve noticed that smell the last couple of years and wondered what it was. Thought it must have been some type of tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Do you have side imaging electronics? If so you can clearly define when you are in a Bluegill bedding area. If in the back of a hard bottom pocket and you see what looks like dimples everywhere you’re in a Bluegill bedding area. Assuming active bedding periods, late May/early June pull out of the area and then troll back in into the wind and you should notice a change in smell as you enter the area of the beds.
Sounds like a plan to me!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Oh yes you can smell them.....I would describe it as a musk fish type smell.....many have said it smells like cucumber or waremellon.....but I’ve not smelled that. It sure makes ones head turn when you smell it. The problem is if there is a slight breeze it can blow that smell quite a ways.....you may not always be right beside it....also you can only smell those beds if they are very shallow. Over the past 19 years I have done the legwork to find bluegill beds and most of the time I can count on most of those beds producing year after year. But by far my best purchase I ever made was a side imaging sonar......and now that I have the Mega si it is even better. These units will put you on bedding bluegill in a hurry. Last spring I fished up in Nickajack Lake for the first time ever with my boat. I had fished a couple of spots from the bank for crappie for years there but never put my boat in the lake. This past spring was simply awesome....finding shell cracker.....red breast sunfish beds for weeks. I did all that with side imaging.

Regards
Thank you sir! I knew you were the guy to ask!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:54 PM

If I can figure this out and identify these areas on my own that should help me catch some bigger than average bass when the bluegill are spawning. I almost feel like I've won a nice scratch off.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep !! <'TK><

Thanks Randy, I couldn't put my finger on it before QUOTE: "many have said it smells like cucumber or watermelon".. Definitely a Fishy smelling Cucumber ! <'TK><
Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
If I can figure this out and identify these areas on my own that should help me catch some bigger than average bass when the bluegill are spawning. I almost feel like I've won a nice scratch off.
You hit the nail on the head there. If you go to Center Hill...or Dale Hollow.....really any lake but I point out those 2 because of the smallmouth.....you will get into some good ones. This happens to me quiet often when bed fishing bluegill.

Regards
Old 01-19-2019, 02:31 PM

It is a strong musk smell, now that you know about it you'll know when you encounter it.

Most of the time when you catch a Bream and he pee's the smell will be in that area.