FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 04-16-2015, 09:04 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Default Safety Reminder

I just wanted to bring up a subject and let you know my thoughts. It's getting warm out there and there are already many pleasure boaters and fishermen on the water.

I consider all of you family, some of you are closer than others, but I do care for everyone of you. I look forward to seeing everyone's pictures of fish and family everyday, it make me happy seeing others enjoy the outdoors as much as I do.

This year there will be many more kayakers on the water, and some of these people are very young, or completely new to the water, and watercraft. Unfortunately there are no mandatory classes for watercraft, as it would be beneficial to everyone. Please try to keep an eye out for the smaller watercraft as they cannot get out of your way as quickly. Please keep on plane when going by, and if you have to pass try to keep some distance if at all possible. Slowing down creates a bigger wake and with the newer people on the water they may not know how to handle the wake in a small watercraft. Just give a friendly wave and acknowledge the fellow boater as you pass at a safe distance.

Please wear your PFD, it could very well save your life or if it doesn't your body will be able to be recovered quickly. There's not much worse than seeing on the news that a persons empty boat has been found washed ashore, and the operator is missing.

Incidents can happen quickly on the water, much faster than you think. You may think if something happens I'll just grab my PFD quickly, well that is not always the case if ever.

Please give other boaters the room they need to safely operate their watercraft, keep a safe following distance, don't cut in front of anyone, please don't boat under the influence, and just be courteous. Be aware of your surroundings, conditions can change in the blink of an eye, and give yourself an out, or have a plan.

I know some wear a PFD while under power and take it off when using a trolling motor, and some don't even wear while under power. Being on a boat is just as dangerous while trolling as it is under power. If you trip over something in your boat and fall out, or have a medical issue and happen to fall out and become unconscious things can escalate very quickly.

I've got enough life insurance on me that my wife would be alright, but for some reason she wants to keep me around so I wear my PFD at all times, and try to practice safe boating.

Please everyone share the water.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM

Amen. The other day I saw two girls kayaking on Priest wearing no PFDs. I paddled up to them asking if they had them and they said they had them in their kayaks with them but didn't want to wear them because they wanted a tan. I told them I can't make them but I highly suggest wearing them because of the pleasure boaters on the lake this time of the year, often drinking, and it's the safest way to kayak in a lake filled with boats using outboard engines. They didn't seem to care. Oh well, I tried.

I usually wear mine but will sometimes take it off when I'm inside a cove or if I'm skinny water fishing where no boats can get to or if I'm in a pond. Other than that, it stays on.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 PM

Mine is on from the time I launch till I pull up on shore. I carry an extra "horse collar" PFD in my boat too in case I run into someone without one. Gave one to a girl one day on the Stones. New yak, no PFD. Saw her later in the parking lot and she gave it back and said she was on her way to get one.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up Wear it!!!

We all need too break down and buy a Gas charged pfd they are not bulky and can save a life.

I bought one this Dec from West Marine for 80 bucks and really like it.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=MidTNKayakAngler;6347

Unfortunately there are no mandatory classes for watercraft, as it would be beneficial to everyone.

Yes, it would. I wish they would start requiring at least an online class or something for the basic safety and courtesy rules of boating. Those kayaks are pretty hard to see sometimes too. We need to be keenly aware of the surroundings when under power. Y'all be safe out there.

Last edited by Reel Tune; 04-17-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:52 PM

oops, I did something wrong there, didn't separate the quote from my reply somehow.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Great info to keep safe.
After watching the rescue of the kayaker on the Duck in Shelbyville,you need a PFD.She had one on.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:32 AM

Great info and reminders!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Amen. The other day I saw two girls kayaking on Priest wearing no PFDs. I paddled up to them asking if they had them and they said they had them in their kayaks with them but didn't want to wear them because they wanted a tan. I told them I can't make them but I highly suggest wearing them because of the pleasure boaters on the lake this time of the year, often drinking, and it's the safest way to kayak in a lake filled with boats using outboard engines. They didn't seem to care. Oh well, I tried.

I usually wear mine but will sometimes take it off when I'm inside a cove or if I'm skinny water fishing where no boats can get to or if I'm in a pond. Other than that, it stays on.
Met a nice young woman at 7 points last weekend. She was wearing a waist-inflatable that looked barely bigger than a belt. She was ready to tan AND safe. This was with her boyfriend on a bigger boat. No reason NOT to have one.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:07 AM

That is my goal this year. I am not as nimble as I used to be and took a pretty good spill last year on wet rocks wading. I was on the ground before I knew it. I fish during the week and usually alone. 1 whack on the head is all it takes.