FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-23-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Tough day on CH

With this cool weather I decided to hit CH for a little fishing. Checked out the new ramp.. Its looking good and will be nice when they are finished.

FYI, there is a hell of a.. what appears like a sinkhole dead center of the two lanes half way from the dam to Cove Marina. You can see where they patched it but its about the size of a basketball and I couldn't see the bottom.

I got there way too late in the morning and it got windy as all get out, but still had a nice day. Only caught 1.. it was my first "rock bass" ???

Old 07-23-2019, 11:21 PM

Yea that's a rock bass and a pretty good one. Ive been catching more rock bass on CH this year than I have in the past. I catch the most rock bass at Dale Hollow. The big largemouth on DH eat a lot of rock bass so if I'm in an area where I'm catching them I usually stay a little longer even if Im not catching any bass
Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Yea that's a rock bass and a pretty good one. Ive been catching more rock bass on CH this year than I have in the past. I catch the most rock bass at Dale Hollow. The big largemouth on DH eat a lot of rock bass so if I'm in an area where I'm catching them I usually stay a little longer even if Im not catching any bass

I found a bunch of them along a rock bluff but couldn't get them to bite. I was trolling, last ditch effort to catch something when this one hit my lure, but I actually hooked it from the top of the mouth. So it was a lucky catch.

I've never seen one before, never mind catching one...What do you normally use to catch them with if you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
I found a bunch of them along a rock bluff but couldn't get them to bite. I was trolling, last ditch effort to catch something when this one hit my lure, but I actually hooked it from the top of the mouth. So it was a lucky catch.

I've never seen one before, never mind catching one...What do you normally use to catch them with if you don't mind me asking.
I probably wasn't very clear in my post but I don't target them. I do catch them from time to time when I'm targeting bass and I get a little excited when I do because I've caught some of my biggest largemouth when I'm around rock bass. Just clearing that up because I don't want to give the impression I'm an expert on these things. But, I almost always catch them on a small Texas rigged craw type bait such as a Strike King Rage Menace or a Strike King Rage bug. As an example on my last trip to DH a couple weeks ago I caught 2 rock bass when I first pulled up to an isolated small patch of grass. Right after the rock bass I caught 3 largemouth between 3.25 and 4.75lbs. I was making the exact same cast on every fish and caught them all in about 15 casts. The big largemouth on DH love to eat those little devils. They don't fight all that hard but they sure are aggressive when they bite. I hear they are great eating too. I've never really caught many big ones on CH but DH has some big ones.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Ok I understand.. I've never fished DH.. maybe one day. I really like that bug. I use something similar... very good action to them. I can see how a bass would think they found a fat juicy crawfish..

One a side note; I talked to the resident ranger about the first public ramp that almost tool out my lower yesterday. They have a pair of 2x2x4' cement blocks about 30' from the waters edge submerged in the water. It can take out a lower or worse yet rupture your hull. He said that they were there to mark the rocks and the fact that only the center part of the ramp actually extends into the water. The sides stop short with a drop leaving you stuck.

I told him that using those blocks to make the rock piles left from building the ramp only amplifies the problem by raising the danger by 2' that can easily tear up a motor or worse yet a boat if the water was less than 12"

Apparently ramp one is shallow and intended for canoes and kayaks. Anyhow he agreed with me that those black should be removed and maybe replaced with buoys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-07-23 10.30.38.jpg (237.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post

Throw a Ned Rig and you won't be able to keep them off your line
Old 07-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Throw a Ned Rig and you won't be able to keep them off your line

Thank you sir