FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 07-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Center Hill Report

I haven posted much about fishing lately but I have spent some time on CH. The fishing has been good the last 3-4 weeks but I'm afraid the party is over. I have fished in 5 little buddy tournaments over the last few weeks. My boat has weighed in 16.5, 17.5, 14.5, 14.5, and 14lbs respectively in those tournaments. My biggest fish in those tournaments has ranged between 3.5-5lbs. Up until Saturday night catching a limit has been easy and you could catch fish anywhere between 3-30 feet of water. Our tournament has been from 6pm-2am. My game plan has been exactly the same in every tournament. I've fished shallow and caught a limit before dark and fished deep after dark.

That has worked well until Saturday. The water temps have stayed from 80-83 until this week. Saturday the water temp was 88 when I put in and I never caught a keeper shallow. There has been a nice bluegill spawn going and that's had a lot of fish on the bank. With the high water temp that has seemed to go away. Our fish came after dark Saturday and I think we only had 8 keepers all night. I've caught every single fish I've weighed in those tournaments on a Strike King Rage Bug with a half ounce tungsten sinker. I've used a bunch of different colors and it hasn't seemed to matter. When fishing it shallow I've fished it like a swim jig and just dragging and hopping it out deep.

I think the fishing is about to get summertime tough at the Hill. The spots that seem to be holding fish are main lake points, bluff ends, and the shallow fish I was catching near the front of main lake pockets around big rock. Most of my deeper fish are coming in 15-25 feet of water on the edge of big steep drop offs
Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I haven posted much about fishing lately but I have spent some time on CH. The fishing has been good the last 3-4 weeks but I'm afraid the party is over. I have fished in 5 little buddy tournaments over the last few weeks. My boat has weighed in 16.5, 17.5, 14.5, 14.5, and 14lbs respectively in those tournaments. My biggest fish in those tournaments has ranged between 3.5-5lbs. Up until Saturday night catching a limit has been easy and you could catch fish anywhere between 3-30 feet of water. Our tournament has been from 6pm-2am. My game plan has been exactly the same in every tournament. I've fished shallow and caught a limit before dark and fished deep after dark.

That has worked well until Saturday. The water temps have stayed from 80-83 until this week. Saturday the water temp was 88 when I put in and I never caught a keeper shallow. There has been a nice bluegill spawn going and that's had a lot of fish on the bank. With the high water temp that has seemed to go away. Our fish came after dark Saturday and I think we only had 8 keepers all night. I've caught every single fish I've weighed in those tournaments on a Strike King Rage Bug with a half ounce tungsten sinker. I've used a bunch of different colors and it hasn't seemed to matter. When fishing it shallow I've fished it like a swim jig and just dragging and hopping it out deep.

I think the fishing is about to get summertime tough at the Hill. The spots that seem to be holding fish are main lake points, bluff ends, and the shallow fish I was catching near the front of main lake pockets around big rock. Most of my deeper fish are coming in 15-25 feet of water on the edge of big steep drop offs
I think I found my problem, been fishing deep during the day and shallow at night lol
Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
I think I found my problem, been fishing deep during the day and shallow at night lol
Lol. I know it sounds a little backwards and it is really I guess. It started with my sister who kept throwing on the bank and getting hung after dark. I got tired of getting her un-hung so I started fishing where she couldn't throw on the bank. That kind of led me to the deeper fish. I've just kind of done the same thing since. Lol. I don't know why your comment made me laugh so much. Thx for that
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the report.. I haven't been back to CH since feb/mar when water was high. I was planning on going in the morning and check out Silver Point.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up

Texas, I want to give you a shout and a big thanks. Of course I realize you didn't cough up and specific spots but you did say you were using a Strike King Rage Bug and although I didn't use that specific lure, I did use something similar with great success. Worked a 300 yd stretch and managed to hook 3 bass, largest around 3.5 lbs. and lost a 4th after switching to a worm and forgetting to do a 4 count.

This was my first successful day on CH and the water was absolutely beautiful... clean, clear and quiet.

I think I'm done with OH (except by the dam) with all the water hazards, dirty water and viability equivalent of chocolate milk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CH 1 Bass.jpg (65.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg CH 2 Bass.jpg (59.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Flatline; 07-02-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Texas, I want to give you a shout and a big thanks. Of course I realize you didn't cough up and specific spots but you did say you were using a Strike King Rage Bug and although I didn't use that specific lure, I did use something similar with great success. Worked a 300 yd stretch and managed to hook 3 bass, largest around 3.5 lbs. and lost a 4th after switching to a worm and forgetting to do a 4 count.

This was my first successful day on CH and the water was absolutely beautiful... clean, clear and quiet.

I think I'm done with OH (except by the dam) with all the water hazards, dirty water and viability equivalent of chocolate milk.

Glad I could help in some way. Center Hill is a beautiful lake and it doesn't get that much fishing pressure. If you are used to the pressure of OH and JPP then CH is a dream to fish. It does get A LOT of pleasure boats on weekends and holidays
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Glad I could help in some way. Center Hill is a beautiful lake and it doesn't get that much fishing pressure. If you are used to the pressure of OH and JPP then CH is a dream to fish. It does get A LOT of pleasure boats on weekends and holidays

I was fishing Silver Point and it was very peaceful all morning. Now once I headed up the lake past the marina, yea the water was choppy with boats everywhere. I have only fished OH a couple times and didn't like it, same with JP.

I only had one issue with a old man that trolled within 30' from me. I told him he was being rude and should know better. Other than that, I didn't see anyone and the waters was a calm as glass. I'm only 20-30 miles from CH and prefer the water quality... much cleaner.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Dakota S

I never have fished CH just the caney river. I’d like to get out there some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I never have fished CH just the caney river. I’d like to get out there some day.

It's the only lake I know of around here that you have a legitimate shot at catching a 4+lb largemouth, smallmouth, or spotted bass on any given day. 4plus largemouth and smallmouth are very common. The giant spots are not as common but I do catch 3lb spots pretty regular
Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Up till last year...CH held my PB Walleye at 9 lbs. CH at one time was my go to lake till all the water level/dam problems. I hope to return one day...like you Tex i'm just an hour away. 8 min from garage to ramp on OH...sad

Flatline...glad to see your into them good job.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Up till last year...CH held my PB Walleye at 9 lbs. CH at one time was my go to lake till all the water level/dam problems. I hope to return one day...like you Tex i'm just an hour away. 8 min from garage to ramp on OH...sad

Flatline...glad to see your into them good job.
I glady drive over an hour to CH versus the 10 minutes to OH. The fishing on CH from the spawn until now has been fantastic. I've had a couple 50+ fish days in the last month on CH but I'm afraid the water temp has reached a level where the fishing is gonna get tough. The spring could have been good to but I spent my spring on DH for the most part which was also phenomenal fishing for quality and quantity. I weighed my personal best limit in a tournament this spring on Dale Hollow at 21lbs 15ounces. All caught my way; a buzzbait and a spinnerbait when the water was up in the bushes
Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Although its been one of my tougher lakes to fish I love Center Hill , imo the most beautiful of all the lakes in the area, whenever I have company come down that wants to fish its always the first place I take them

Last trip there in April we absolutely slayed them but for some odd reason I haven't been back , I think I have too many options if thats really a worthy excuse lol
Old 07-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
I glady drive over an hour to CH versus the 10 minutes to OH. The fishing on CH from the spawn until now has been fantastic. I've had a couple 50+ fish days in the last month on CH but I'm afraid the water temp has reached a level where the fishing is gonna get tough. The spring could have been good to but I spent my spring on DH for the most part which was also phenomenal fishing for quality and quantity. I weighed my personal best limit in a tournament this spring on Dale Hollow at 21lbs 15ounces. All caught my way; a buzzbait and a spinnerbait when the water was up in the bushes

What are the best couple ramps you like to use at CH?

Old 07-04-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
What are the best couple ramps you like to use at CH?

I spend almost all my time on CH fishing between Hurricane bridge and the dam. I use the ramp at hurricane bridge if I'm fishing mid lake, but most of the time I use the ramp at the marina in Cove Hollow. I think it's called Center Hill Marina. It does cost $8 to use the ramp but most of the time I'm fishing at night and I prefer the security of the marina. There is a coded gate that is closed after dark and I think the chances of running into someone that's up to no good is much less. During the day the gate is open. The exit gate is always closed but opens when you get near it. Just a tip if you do use the cove Hollow ramp, the entrance and exit gates are about a mile apart. Consider the road as a one way road. When you go to exit just keep going in the opposite direction of the entrance and there is an exit gate up the hill. It's not exactly obvious when you are there as you can't see the entrance or exit from the boat ramp. I've ran into several guys pulling a boat and trying to exit the same way they came in. I did it too the first couple times I went.

If you want to fish the lower end and want free parking, then you can use the ramp at Edgar Evans. Just follow directions to Edgar Evans Marina but keep going past the marina and the road will dead end at a free boat ramp. They are building a new ramp at the dam and I'll probably use it some when it's finished. I really wish they were not building it because there are a couple great little one cast fishing spots up by the dam that don't get much pressure but with a ramp up there it's gonna make those spots pretty convenient to fish.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Dakota S

Quote:
I spend almost all my time on CH fishing between Hurricane bridge and the dam. I use the ramp at hurricane bridge if I'm fishing mid lake, but most of the time I use the ramp at the marina in Cove Hollow. I think it's called Center Hill Marina. It does cost $8 to use the ramp but most of the time I'm fishing at night and I prefer the security of the marina. There is a coded gate that is closed after dark and I think the chances of running into someone that's up to no good is much less. During the day the gate is open. The exit gate is always closed but opens when you get near it. Just a tip if you do use the cove Hollow ramp, the entrance and exit gates are about a mile apart. Consider the road as a one way road. When you go to exit just keep going in the opposite direction of the entrance and there is an exit gate up the hill. It's not exactly obvious when you are there as you can't see the entrance or exit from the boat ramp. I've ran into several guys pulling a boat and trying to exit the same way they came in. I did it too the first couple times I went.

If you want to fish the lower end and want free parking, then you can use the ramp at Edgar Evans. Just follow directions to Edgar Evans Marina but keep going past the marina and the road will dead end at a free boat ramp. They are building a new ramp at the dam and I'll probably use it some when it's finished. I really wish they were not building it because there are a couple great little one cast fishing spots up by the dam that don't get much pressure but with a ramp up there it's gonna make those spots pretty convenient to fish.

Thanks, that’s good info!