FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Fishing Fool

I mix my fuel too. 50:1 with just a touch extra. It doesn’t smoke real bad, but I do enjoy the smell of two stroke at 5am!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Fishing Fool

Default Which one of you?

Speaking of Bill Dance, there’s a tournament out of Sanders Ferry Park in June that him, Jimmy Houston , and Roland Martin will be in. They had auctions to fish with them on Old hickory lake but the bids were deeper than my pockets can go!!

https://donate.tjmartell.org/henders...nament/e168095

Last edited by skillet; 05-15-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yes !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
I mix my fuel too. 50:1 with just a touch extra. It doesn’t smoke real bad, but I do enjoy the smell of two stroke at 5am!!

For those of you who do not know how a two stroke motor works (totally different than a four stroke, like in your car). When your fuel/oil goes into the carburetor of your 2 stroke it does not go straight to the cylinders(combustion chambers) and is ignited by the spark plug like a 4 stroke.

In a 2 stroke the fuel/oil leaves the carb and enters the crankcase... This is where all the monkey motions of your crankshaft, rod and crank bearings get their lubrication from the fuel/oil. Then the fuel/oil leaves the crankcase and enters the cylinders to be fired.

Bottom line SMOKE is GOOD! And fattening up the oil a little does not hurt. And let's be honest you only really see it when you first start up but mostly disappears after you get underway ...

And for those of you like me, the smoke brings back memories from an early morn with your Dad when you were a kid. Well I probably smell this smoke more than most working on these old kickers. And every time I twist the flywheel and smell the Smoke I remember my Dad.

Now today we have designer oils with a sundry of aromas with our new synthetics , Lucas, Klotz, etc. It's kind of like being around folks smoking "E" cigarettes .. ... <TK><
Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM

I second both you guys. The smell of the smoke in the early morning takes me back to my childhood and my grandfathers old Cajun with the 115 tower of power merc on it.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It was Skillet.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM

I miss that smell. My new boat has a 4-stroke on it. I have always told my wife my favorite thing about fishing is the early morning, smell of the outboard and the sound of the red-wing blackbirds.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM

This is an update on my motor. I have a Mercury 175 EFI. These motors will not pee very well until the thermostats open. I noticed on Saturday that my motor was not peeing as well as it should. I brushed it off as my motor wasn't warm. It would pee ok at 5000 rpms. But I did check the hose for blockage that day and it was clear. Yesterday I checked it again and it was clear. My tube connects tge motor to a plastic piece on the calling(spelling?). I took the plastic piece off and it was 90% clogged with what appeared to be moss. I cleaned it out and the poppit valve. I took the boat to the lake today and ran it for 20 minutes and it ran great and peed great. It also had a little more water pressure.

Here's what my non mechanical mind thinks happened. I think the hot water was building up in the motor because it couldn't escape and I was getting a temperature warning with the beeps. Does this make sense to any of you guys that have any understanding about boat motors? The boat appears to be fine now.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Mud dobber’s love to nest in the pee tubes of our engines. Carry 10-12” of weed eater line to ram up the pee hole in the Spring.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Mud dobber’s love to nest in the pee tubes of our engines. Carry 10-12” of weed eater line to ram up the pee hole in the Spring.
I've had that happen too.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile A little more info .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
This is an update on my motor. I have a Mercury 175 EFI. These motors will not pee very well until the thermostats open. I noticed on Saturday that my motor was not peeing as well as it should. I brushed it off as my motor wasn't warm. It would pee ok at 5000 rpms. But I did check the hose for blockage that day and it was clear. Yesterday I checked it again and it was clear. My tube connects tge motor to a plastic piece on the calling(spelling?). I took the plastic piece off and it was 90% clogged with what appeared to be moss. I cleaned it out and the poppit valve. I took the boat to the lake today and ran it for 20 minutes and it ran great and peed great. It also had a little more water pressure.

Here's what my non mechanical mind thinks happened. I think the hot water was building up in the motor because it couldn't escape and I was getting a temperature warning with the beeps. Does this make sense to any of you guys that have any understanding about boat motors? The boat appears to be fine now.
First off in my experience, BUC is right, I have found Merc's draw Dirt Dobbers like Magnets.. 10 to 1 over other brands and I don't know why!! ... The pee tube is called the "tail tell" ... and really it's primary purpose is to indicate that you do have water flow through the motor that can be physically seen with the EYE, It is a parallel water flow ckt from the main cooling flow. The thermostat does not enter the picture when it comes to Tail Tell Flow.. If you notice, even before the motor hits and starts with just the Electric starter motor you have Tail Tell flow, and immediately after it starts and it is dead cold... Note: Outboard Thermostats don't control water flow like automotive thermostats do.

But with that said ... It could be totally stopped up and you could still have sufficient water flow through the engine and the primary discharge of the water is either through the prop or exhaust housing port depending on Brand, model and year. Now if the Tail Tell was stopped up your water pressure would increase not decrease. Example. Like putting your thumb over the end of a Garden Hose, restricted water flow but increased pressure... As far as the temp sensors, The are usually located near the cylinders and Heads which get the hottest. I am always suspect of Water pump impellers when it comes to over temp and flow indications.

TR didn't you just have your lower unit rebuilt again .. I am sure your mechanic installed a new Water Imp. It's right there on top when he dropped the unit... <'TK><
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
First off in my experience, BUC is right, I have found Merc's draw Dirt Dobbers like Magnets.. 10 to 1 over other brands and I don't know why!! ... The pee tube is called the "tail tell" ... and really it's primary purpose is to indicate that you do have water flow through the motor that can be physically seen with the EYE, It is a parallel water flow ckt from the main cooling flow. The thermostat does not enter the picture when it comes to Tail Tell Flow.. If you notice, even before the motor hits and starts with just the Electric starter motor you have Tail Tell flow, and immediately after it starts and it is dead cold... Note: Outboard Thermostats don't control water flow like automotive thermostats do.

But with that said ... It could be totally stopped up and you could still have sufficient water flow through the engine and the primary discharge of the water is either through the prop or exhaust housing port depending on Brand, model and year. Now if the Tail Tell was stopped up your water pressure would increase not decrease. Example. Like putting your thumb over the end of a Garden Hose, restricted water flow but increased pressure... As far as the temp sensors, The are usually located near the cylinders and Heads which get the hottest. I am always suspect of Water pump impellers when it comes to over temp and flow indications.

TR didn't you just have your lower unit rebuilt again .. I am sure your mechanic installed a new Water Imp. It's right there on top when he dropped the unit... <'TK><
I told you I don't know anything about motors! I do know that my motor does not pee well at idle until it gets warm. It will just spit water at idle when first cranked up. I have been told by several people that this is normal for my motor. I know Adrian has the exact same motor and his acts the same. Yes I did just have the lower unti rebuilt and I was told a brand new impeller was installed.

After reading your post my guess is that the clogged hose didn't cause my alarm the other day. Maybe I should have ran the boat a little longer today to see if I could get an alarm. I ran it for 15-20 minutes with no issues and loaded it up because I didn't have time to stay and fish
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Great ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I told you I don't know anything about motors! I do know that my motor does not pee well at idle until it gets warm. It will just spit water at idle when first cranked up. I have been told by several people that this is normal for my motor. I know Adrian has the exact same motor and his acts the same. Yes I did just have the lower unti rebuilt and I was told a brand new impeller was installed.

After reading your post my guess is that the clogged hose didn't cause my alarm the other day. Maybe I should have ran the boat a little longer today to see if I could get an alarm. I ran it for 15-20 minutes with no issues and loaded it up because I didn't have time to stay and fish
This may be the characteristic for yours and Adrian's motor ... My guide boat had a 225 HP (3 liter Big Block) Blue water Merc... And it pee'd water like a race horse at idle .... Just keep an eye on it ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 05-17-2018 at 01:05 AM.