FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-24-2019, 06:21 PM

Duck river from below Normandy dam to three forks bridge has a nice population of chain pickerel.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:32 PM

Chain pickeral may survive but Northern Pike populations start north of cincinnati, OH and they are few and far between. Musky on the other hand are all over the mid Atlantic because they are NATIVE to these rivers.

Chain pickeral I have no Idea about but I have caught 10,000s of thousands of northern pike.

Anything over 25 inches resembling an ESOX is 99.9% a musky south of the ohio river and its basin.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy15 View Post
Chain pickeral may survive but Northern Pike populations start north of cincinnati, OH and they are few and far between. Musky on the other hand are all over the mid Atlantic because they are NATIVE to these rivers.

Anything over 25 inches resembling an ESOX is 99.9% a musky south of the ohio river and its basin.
And most Yankee's think Walleye are a Northern fish yet we have the world record on Old Hickory/Cumberland River.

I just need to find those big boys as it is hard for me but I did get two Sauger this weekend a 15" and a 19"er!! Damn good on the Grille with butter,pepper and lemon!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Master Trout Magnet

As a kid in the 60’s my family used to fish for “Jacks” all the time in Old Hickory. Since I left Gallatin in 1973 I can’t really speak to the population in there now but used to be a ton of them.

Regards
Old 08-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
And most Yankee's think Walleye are a Northern fish yet we have the world record on Old Hickory/Cumberland River.

I just need to find those big boys as it is hard for me but I did get two Sauger this weekend a 15" and a 19"er!! Damn good on the Grille with butter,pepper and lemon!

That is an incredibly foolish statement. The Ohio River basin and Cumberland River basin hold all of the biggest walleye in the world. No yankee will disagree with you there. I know personally people who fly from Minnesota to dale hallow just to walleye fish.

Although the population and table fare is far far far far far better up north because of water quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy15 View Post
That is an incredibly foolish statement. The Ohio River basin and Cumberland River basin hold all of the biggest walleye in the world. No yankee will disagree with you there. I know personally people who fly from Minnesota to dale hallow just to walleye fish.

Although the population and table fare is far far far far far better up north because of water quality.

Southern atmosphere trumps the water quality in Yankee land.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Southern atmosphere trumps the water quality in Yankee land.

Not in a million years. Weather, fishing, hunting, water, women and hunting camps are better up north.

The warm weather turns you into mush after too many years. When you don’t fear winter, you get lazy.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
It could have just been the temperature and water color. It amazes me sometimes when I put an old ugly brown smallmouth in the livewell and then it has the most beautiful markings when I pull it out
Last year we kept some bass to eat while camping at Lake Cumberland, we had 2 smallmouth, 3 Spots and a Largemouth , when I opened the live well they all had the exact same markings, could tell them apart until they were out of the livewell for a while

Anyone else ever see this?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Last year we kept some bass to eat while camping at Lake Cumberland, we had 2 smallmouth, 3 Spots and a Largemouth , when I opened the live well they all had the exact same markings, could tell them apart until they were out of the livewell for a while

Anyone else ever see this?
I can't think of a time I've noticed this. Usually it just the opposite, if they all look the same it's because of being very deep or muddy water but they usually color up nicely in the livewell
Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 PM

Here's a prime example. This is the same fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.JPG (1.42 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.JPG (2.00 MB, 30 views)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I can't think of a time I've noticed this. Usually it just the opposite, if they all look the same it's because of being very deep or muddy water but they usually color up nicely in the livewell

This is what they all looked like when we opened the live well, all 3 species, I wondered if it was stress or maybe aggressive behavior causing it , not sure