FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-30-2014, 04:42 AM

Default Old Hiclory LM

Hello fellow anglers! I'm new to this site and would like to introduce myself. My name is Josh; I'm 32 years old, and just bought my first boat this spring (1996 16'6'' Skeeter). I have fished my whole life, but since I bought a boat I have become addicted to bass fishing. I live very close to Old Hickory(Bledsoe Creek), so 90% of my fishing is on this lake. I average 3 to 4 days a week on the lake. I caught my PB this summer(8lbs 3oz), and another bass over 7lbs.
I had a great summer and caught a lot of fish mostly thanks to a friend of mine that has spent time educating me on the lake. Finally to my question: Is anyone finding a consistent quality bite right now? I'm having some pretty good days catching them shallow around bait on a square bill and shakey head, but it amazes me how inconsistent I am. Last week I had two days straight where I only caught a hand full each day with only 1 keeper each day, and then the next day I'm fishing the same pattern and my best 5 were for about 16 lbs.
Any advise would be appreciated and I look forward to meeting new friends here. CHEERS!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 AM

Welcome to the forum, Josh. Doesn't sound like you need any advice.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Welcome to the forum....great bunch of guys.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 AM

Welcome!

Looks like you are consistently catching keepers.

When i fished there a lot, we caught a bunch of what we like to call Old Hickory Specials. These are 13 3/4" fish. There are tons of them!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Congratulations on your boat, and welcome to Fishing TN. It sounds like you are doing well right now. This time of year can be tough until they actually get in the fall feeding mode which I think it will be soon. Fish should be on the move from deeper to shallower water using the creeks as roads to move back and forth.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Welcome!

Looks like you are consistently catching keepers.

When i fished there a lot, we caught a bunch of what we like to call Old Hickory Specials. These are 13 3/4" fish. There are tons of them!
Haha. You are spot on with that. Monday I was fishing a pocket and caught 4 in a row that were all over 13 1/2" and not one was 14"
Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
Congratulations on your boat, and welcome to Fishing TN. It sounds like you are doing well right now. This time of year can be tough until they actually get in the fall feeding mode which I think it will be soon. Fish should be on the move from deeper to shallower water using the creeks as roads to move back and forth.
Thanks. I hope it gets better. This summer the bite was just so consistent, and I could find big schools almost every day and catch them. Right now it just seems as though I have more days where I only catch a few and then have a day when I catch them really good. I can still find big schools but getting bit is a different story
Old 10-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Thanks. I hope it gets better. This summer the bite was just so consistent, and I could find big schools almost every day and catch them. Right now it just seems as though I have more days where I only catch a few and then have a day when I catch them really good. I can still find big schools but getting bit is a different story

Welcome to the site! This time of year can be tough, there's just sooooo much bait, and when you find them. They have been busting Shad all day so it's tough to get them to eat what you are tossing out there.

Mike

Mike
Old 10-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Lightbulb Got to love fall

Welcome brother.

I say it's main lake current so if they are pulling hard the fish suspend more and are harder to get a bite. but the current should stabilize about now and as said above the creeks should be giving up lots of bait chasers.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 PM

Welcome!

It can be a tough time of year but now is when you stray a little from good ole bait "X". Experiment with size and type of bait because subtles changes make a world of difference.

Don't be afraid to throw something that doesnt make any sense what so ever.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:50 AM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys. I think that part of the reason I have fallen in love with fishing so much is that the people I meet through fishing seem to be so welcoming and nice people. If anyone ever wants a fishing partner just pm me. I work nights and weekends, so during the week I have lots of free time. We can take my boat or yours, and if you don't have a boat and want to go in mine then that's just fine too and maybe we can work out a time that works for the both of us

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 10-31-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Welcome!

It can be a tough time of year but now is when you stray a little from good ole bait "X". Experiment with size and type of bait because subtles changes make a world of difference.

Don't be afraid to throw something that doesnt make any sense what so ever.
I agree. My "go to" bait for those deep summer bass was a big texas rigged 10"-13" worm. Since the water temperature has dropped below 70, I haven't had much success with it. I love fishing on the bottom and much smaller baits have been way more successful lately.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Woody

Welcome my friend everyone here will try to help you if they can. I'm on the water just about every day all year round and I fish lock 3 area. You can't miss me I'm the old fat in a cowboy hat in a blue tracker...................woody
Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 PM

welcome to the forum IMO its about time to hang up the bass rods and start crappie fishing in another couple weeks so get the bass while you can then start catching crappie
Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishaholic View Post
welcome to the forum IMO its about time to hang up the bass rods and start crappie fishing in another couple weeks so get the bass while you can then start catching crappie
I'm with you, I never do well during fall fishing for bass. I a, getting the crappie gear together tonight