FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 AM

Default Painting outboards

Anyone ever repaint their outboard??? I am going to try and finish my boat remodel and wanted to repaint my motor and trailer, trailer seems pretty straight forward but I was not sure if the motor required special attention. I have read some things online but wanted to see if anyone had first hand knowledge. I am also looking to have the fiberglass refinished. I found a guy that does it and he said around $800.00 for above the rope line (Stratos 275 ProXL) Below the rope line is just fine. Can anyone shed and light on either or these, good deal on the fiberglass??
Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM

I have built custom decks/storage bins using regular fiberglass as well as what they call "kitty hair".

Depending on your issue the kitty hair may work and its not all that bad to try yourself. Get some play around on pieces of wood or what not then carry over to the boat.

Plain ole fiberglass is a mother of a son of a dog. Basically in a nutshell you have a mat cut to fit over not exact, then mix your fiberglass (it will get hot and can burn you) then coat the mat. Once cured sand is with an armor suit on and shield over your face (I am exaggerating a little) due to the fibers once getting in your skin are like needles.

Fiberglass is stronger but I have used the mat with kitty hair for strength which worked.

You can probably do the hair option yourself as a nice little learning a new trade but you honestly couldn't pay me enough to do fiberglass for someone or myself again.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:48 AM

If the finish is just foggy (or sun faded) not holes or anything then you can probably get or rent a buffer with some compound. Buff it out and spray clear coat back over top to bring the finish out again. The only issue here is if you have a flake and the finish is gone down the where you rub your hand across and can feel the flakes already. That's is little more involved.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:56 AM

It needs to be sanded and then re coated. The clear/gel is cracked and faded. I tried buffing it last year and it lasted for about a week.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 AM

After you buffed did you clear coat it? I would do a minimum 5 coats. That ultimately is your protection/sealant.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:05 AM

The motors top and bottom are probably powder coated. It may be hard to duplicate the initial look of new.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:45 AM

No I did not clear coat it, just buffed it. I am going to go back with a matte black finish on the trailer and motor. I read that I need to prime the aluminum with a Zinc Chromate first......
Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM

I don't remember ever priming with that before. But don't take that as what you read being wrong. It's just not ringing a bell.

We took everything off our trailers down to just frames then sand blasted them, primed, painted and cleared. That may be hard to just do but we had our garage setup with steel airlines on the walls and HVLP guns.

Good luck on the remodel. Take some progress pics before/after and such.