FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-31-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Jpp 5-30/31

Had a rough few days on priest...literally. lol.
First time on the water since late february so it was nice just to get out.
Targeted crappie and/or bass.
I couldnt handle the wind in my crappie spots so i changed over to bass. Neko rigs and cranks put 5 in the boat. 3 small mouth about 13" and 2 largemouths. One was close to 4lbs. Fat! had a tail of something barely coming out of its throat. Bluegill maybe. Sun and wind ran me off about 2.
today i got to my crappie spot before the wind got bad. Finally found a few crappies deep in the brush in 16'. It was a chore to get past all the yellow bass but when i did i connected. Only boated 5 with 4 keepers but they were all big fish. White crappie went 14" and the black crappies went 12-13".
Did some deep cranking on points and picked a few small bass up, but nothing to write home about.
Today the friggin vampire flies got to me. I had blood all down my legs from them things. Plus my fried knees and feet ran me off. Lol.
Good to be back on the water after so long.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 AM

Great to know you have been back out. JPP has been very inconsistent this spring
Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Wish I could have patience to fish deep for crappie.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 PM

I find it really easy the way i fish for them.
Very simple 3-way rig. Usually a 24"-30" dropper on the sinker and a 12" line to the hook. When it gets warm like now 99% of my fish come on minnows. The sinker dropper can vary depending on how high off bottom the brush is. The little bell sinker can slide through the brush fairly easy without hanging up while the minnow dances along the top of it. I slowly cruise through the brush back and forth picking them off. When that dies down i put on a heavier sinker and do the same thing through schools of bait uaually over deeper water. 20-25'. Picking up cats, bass and the occasional hybrid.
I tried trolling cranks around bear island across from the beach yesterday, fish were all over the screen and bait. Yet like so many other times, i caught nothing. Not sure if my crankbait selection is trash or what but i troll there 2-3 times a summer, fish and bait galore and i get zip! lol.
Minnows are a hassle in the summer months, but when i go meat fishing, live bait is always within arms reach.