FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Paddlefish Regs .... <'TK><

As per TWRA Fishing Regs. Page 8. The season for paddle fish is April 24th thru May 31. With no culling in all river fisheries ...Exceptions are three land locked lakes, Center Hill, Watts Bar, and Cherokee. They are primarily fished for with nets in rivers..

In the 80's I use to commercial fish for Paddlefish during the Russian Embargo on Cavier .. Which is harvested from Sturgeon... Contrary to belief Paddlefish are not of the catfish family .... They are of the Sturgeon family. They primarily are plankton feeders that is the reason for the large gills. They very seldom strike or eat any large bait ... Mainly on a small percentage, minnows. But paddlefish do get foul hooked quite frequently...

The meat is great tasting as long as the red muscle is removed. This fish would have about 30 pounds of eggs after screening and processing it would be $24 a pound in 1980 ($720) Note: Our fisheries were raped by out of state commercial fisherman during this time... This is what brought on our season of two per day ... In the 80's there were no regs. or limit on these fish..

So Beware ... The reason for no culling because they very seldom survive after being caught... You did not say that it was released ... You may want to reconsider this post <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 08-23-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post

So Beware ... The reason for no culling because they very seldom survive after being caught... You did not say that it was released ... You may want to reconsider this post <'TK><

This is a screen capture of the video of me releasing the fish "Alive". I sent this video to the Tennessean after the phone interview I did tonight. I'll say, for all my past and future posts, I NEVER, I mean, NEVER keep a fish over 10lbs. That's something a newbie would do. The second photo is of me fishing Old Hickory exactly 45 years ago. What's the opposite of newbie? hehe! I guess oldie would work. I should probably edit the post to say Released. I'll go do that if it will let me.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:59 AM

Congrats on catching that monster. Had to be a thrill.

BTW, It looks like you are pulling the fish in the boat by the tail. Is that legal?
Old 08-24-2018, 08:15 AM

They are beasts and I have caught one on a crankbait, hooked outside the mouth and likely just an impact hook up but man what a fight. Not as long as Adrian's but solid muscle. Have you guys ever seen them free jumping in the main channel? I don't know why they do it but I have seen it a bunch and on a couple of occasions pretty close to the boat. Freaky when it happens.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Paddlefish Released .... <'TK><

"This is a screen capture of the video of me releasing the fish "Alive". I sent this video to the Tennessean after the phone interview I did tonight. I'll say, for all my past and future posts, I NEVER, I mean, NEVER keep a fish over 10lbs. That's something a newbie would do. The second photo is of me fishing Old Hickory exactly 45 years ago. What's the opposite of newbie? hehe! I guess oldie would work. I should probably edit the post to say Released. I'll go do that if it will let me. "

Adrian, thanks for the additional info ... If you have any trouble with the edit let me know ... <'TK><
Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Congrats on catching that monster. Had to be a thrill.

BTW, It looks like you are pulling the fish in the boat by the tail. Is that legal?
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
They are beasts and I have caught one on a crankbait, hooked outside the mouth and likely just an impact hook up but man what a fight. Not as long as Adrian's but solid muscle. Have you guys ever seen them free jumping in the main channel? I don't know why they do it but I have seen it a bunch and on a couple of occasions pretty close to the boat. Freaky when it happens.
I see it all the time up river where it's nice and quiet except for the loud crashing sound every few minutes. It's exciting.

Adrian, thanks for the additional info ... If you have any trouble with the edit let me know ... <'TK><
It let me without an issue, That's Good! Thanks...
Old 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM

Your secret is safe here on fish'n TN

https://www.tennessean.com/videos/sp...ke/1085061002/
Old 08-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
Your secret is safe here on fish'n TN

https://www.tennessean.com/videos/sp...ke/1085061002/
Haha! For sure. Don't tell anyone
Old 08-24-2018, 09:03 PM

Wow! Congratulations. That is a catch to remember!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormdunker View Post
Wow! Congratulations. That is a catch to remember!
Thanks Wormdunker! It sure was
Old 08-25-2018, 01:58 AM

Congrats Adrian. Any guess what that old hickory shark weighed.Awesome looking critter.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:06 AM

[QUOTE=luckystratos;83848]Congrats Adrian. Any guess what that old hickory shark weighed.Awesome looking critter.[/QUOTE

Thanks Man! All I know is that it was way heavier than the 50+ stripers I've caught. I could only hold it up for a couple of clicks and I'd have to take a break. Let's just say I have a lot of grimacing photos to delete off my phone
Old 08-25-2018, 01:08 PM

You’re a freakin fish magnet. Start a guide service man.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaugh View Post
You’re a freakin fish magnet. Start a guide service man.
As soon as I get a Boat Endorsement I will
Old 08-25-2018, 05:08 PM

Nice. I beat that was a chore to get in the boat too.