FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 PM

Default Ky lake info

I am trying to plan a family bass fishing trip to Ky lake early May. I don't know much about the lake so my question is which part of the lake would be best for fishing, then finding cabins or housing for 5 guys. We found a decent water front air bnb around Murry Ky and Sugar creek if anyone knows the area. Any suggestions are welcome. Is the fishing better up by the Dam or down toward Paris, or does it matter?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Ky Lake fishing

Hi,I live close to Ky & Tn state line near Cadiz Ky.The fishing bug bit me hard last year in late spring and being that Lake Barkley is closer I fished it more than Ky lake but fish both a little bit.Both areas you mention should have good fishing and have lodging,camping options.One thing to keep in mind is the Ky side north end of lakes near the dam has a canal that connects the two lakes giving you option to try both lakes out without taking a boat out of the water.But if you take out of water the lakes are not far apart if you wish to try both lakes while here.Ky lake has clearer water more gravel bottom and greater number of SM Bass than Lake Barkley but more LM Bass caught at both lakes than SM.Wind affects Ky Lake more than Barkley if you have smaller boat on main body of the lake but both have bays to fish off main lake.If you go a little south on either lake both have areas that allow you to fish a fairly large amount of water with either a Ky or a Tn fishing license
Old 02-22-2018, 05:37 PM

Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 11:58 AM

Your welcome,Looks like you are from Tn. so your Tn fishing license lets you fish on Barkley Lake all the way up to Hwy 68/80 bridge in Ky. near Cadiz Ky area and I belive it is same on Ky Lake as well.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickfan70 View Post
Your welcome,Looks like you are from Tn. so your Tn fishing license lets you fish on Barkley Lake all the way up to Hwy 68/80 bridge in Ky. near Cadiz Ky area and I belive it is same on Ky Lake as well.
I don't believe there is a reciprocal agreement on Barkley. Your license is only good for the state you purchased it from. KY lake you can fish from Paris Landing (79 Bridge) to KenLake (68-80 Bridge) with KY or TN license. You can not fish in Blood river without a KY license.

Fishing in May is the best month for numbers with a lot of fish normally still shallow. You can also fish for bream, catfish, crappie, etc. There is plenty of lodging around any of the bridges, from Birdsong in the south to KenLake north.

Last edited by sbrison; 02-28-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 PM

We found an air bnb on the water near Sugar Creek. When it gets closer I will need tips on how to catch Bass. LOL
Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 PM

You can fish Barkley lake with TN license up to the new bridge on HWY 68/80 and that info is posted in the Ky fishing guide published by the Ky game&fish. With a Ky license you may fish to hwy 79 bridge in Dover TN on Barkley.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 AM

I may be wrong about Barkley Lake having a shared area that either Ky or Tn fishing license is good.Checked the new 2018 guide and it only mentions Ky Lake having this. First time I was ever wrong .