FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default To post.....or not

Sometimes I want to post something about the fishing locally, but when I pull up the "Local Fishing" tab, I see 53 viewing but no new posts for two days.
Then I decide, maybe posting is not such a good thing. Unless maybe I'm posting about a lake 2-3 hours away.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:01 PM

Shut up old man!!!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Shut up old man!!!
I’m with Halli, give it up geezer. For those of us working for a living the best we can do is hear from you folks that can get on the water every day.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 PM

I normally don't do much winter fishing. I do love seeing the posts of those who do brave the cold.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Sometimes I want to post something about the fishing locally, but when I pull up the "Local Fishing" tab, I see 53 viewing but no new posts for two days.

Then I decide, maybe posting is not such a good thing. Unless maybe I'm posting about a lake 2-3 hours away.

Post away. I think most on here are mostly interested in the lakes very close to Nashville....of which I rarely....if ever...fish. I post anyway. I look here first for your posts....then Facebook. I feel same as you....lots looking but not many posting. But I’ve found that to be pretty common on the other forums that you and I are both members of. I have been shocked that people who will come up to me at Williamsport....Center Hill....and even Nickajack and they say I think I’ve seen your posts on fishingtn. I ask them what is there name on the forum and they say”Oh.....I don’t post”. I tell them they should as it may benefit someone....but I guess a lot will never post. Keep em coming...I like to see what you caught.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 PM

Don't fish much in the winter so nothing to post. I do view the sight multiple times a day. It's a hobby, a way to stay in touch with what's going on. In the summer I post anytime I have some success, which isn't very often. I read a lot of post, not with the intention of stealing info but to learn. For example I would never think to fish with 2 lb test line and have any success. But alpha's consistently in putting fish in the boat has me gearing up to give it a try this year. If it works I'll post away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Just for halli (is that short for halitosis ) and buccaneer

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 01:49 PM

Nice! I do have a question for you. With all the A-rig options available, do you find the ones with the willow blades mid-way on the arms to generally be more productive than those without blades?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM

Nice catching.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Nice! I do have a question for you. With all the A-rig options available, do you find the ones with the willow blades mid-way on the arms to generally be more productive than those without blades?
Really??

Give it up old geezer? Probably not Buc.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:07 AM

I very rarely post anything on here but I get on and read through the post daily hoping to learn what other people are doing to catch fish in order to become a better fisherman myself. I thought that was what this type of forum was for. If I'm wrong, then I'll stop checking in daily to see what I'm doing wrong when I do get the opportunity to fish. I don't think anyone wants to read a post from me that says "I went fishing all day today and didn't even get a nibble." I promise you that when I have a good day of fishing my post will be full of details down to the GPS coordinates so that if someone reads it they might be able to go there and have as good of a day as I had. If you don't want someone catching your fish (that you don't own) or fishing your public water (that you don't own) that's fine there are others here who like to teach us non-fisherman how to do it. I apologize for the rant. I just don't understand why people want to be so secretive. I wish I had something to post, I'd tell everybody, whether they wanted to hear it or not. P.S. Thanks for giving me something to post about.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 AM

Thumbs up

See that wasn't so Bad.

We have to work for a living and our hope is on you to show us what we are missing.

Thanks

Halli "Halliburton"
Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Default To post or not

I'm enjoying this site as I use it more. I never ask for spots but do like to learn what more accomplished fishermen and women are doing in hopes of becoming more proficient. I am more than willing to share spots though because it does give me pleasure knowing someone else might have a good day on the water if I do. That may seem a bit pollyannaish and I understand some could take advantage of it. e.g. On another board a local guy is famous for asking newbies for spots so he can take his teenaged son for a good fishing trip. I took him out on Priest and showed him a spot a few years ago. The next week his boy took a 7lber off of it. I then contacted him about OH and generally speaking what to use that time of the year. His only response was look for weeds. No crap ! lol so I understand the reluctance to post some times, but enjoy when you guys share info. Hope you keep it up. I'll reciprocate when the warmer weather ccomes and i have something of interest or use.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:34 AM

I do have to take up for Merv a bit on this one. He is not a casual fisherman; a guide. His motives for being coy about some of his spots and when is finding fish should be obvious. Hell, last year at this time, he was posting about all the hybrids he was catching several times a week and when I saw him on the water was glad to share what was working. All you have to do is ask a casual crappie fisherman about where to catch crappie to know that people being cagie about where the fish are is not a phenomena. Crappie guys are the absolute worst for sharing anything except what lake they caught them on. I would be lying if I didn't wish he would tell me exactly where to go every Saturday. Oh wait, he just might do that going forward now that I opened that up for him. I will say, I called him yesterday and he did not remember who I was at first but had no problem, once I gave him some context, helping me find fish yesterday. Even talked a bit every time we trolled past one another.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM

I've read through this thread a couple times to make sure I didn't miss something. I'm not speaking for Merv, but I think he is just trying to encourage more people to participate on the site. If you don't have anything to share and your looking for some information, then you could start a thread and ask for some. There are plenty of members here that gladly help someone trying to learn and Merv is certainly one of those members.

Besides, he doesn't have any friends so this is his only shot at being social. If you've seen him dance then you will know why!

On a more serious note. I'll tell a personal story of mine about why I'm a little tight lipped about exactly where I catch "my fish". This past fall I found a spot on JPP that was loaded with bass. It was after a big rain and the lake was flooded. Me and a friend caught something like 80 bass the day we found these two spots. Sitting in the same place making the same cast. Most were keepers but no big ones. I wanted someone that would appreciate a day like that to enjoy those fish so I posted about it on here and told a gentleman on here where to go so he and his son could have a great time. For whatever reason they were not able to have success at those spots. I knew those fish were probably still there so we went back with my boat and another boat and both boats caught over 50 again a few days later.

The point I'm trying to get to is that I felt really bad that I got a kids hopes up that he was gonna catch all these bass and he didn't hardly catch any if any at all. Now I know for a fact if I had been there that they would have caught a bunch. I don't want to do that to anyone else. I will help anyone I can but I'm not gonna tell anyone exactly where to go and what to throw anymore.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 01-29-2018 at 04:25 PM.