FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Default New Ramp on the Caney

A few months ago while wading, I overheard some guys chatting about the land they bought along the Caney. It was near the stairs where fly fishermen often gather.

This week I saw that some of that land has been cleared for a new ramp. I overheard a worker there talking about renting kayaks. I think a third party will be unloading more kayaks there this summer.

If true, that's really a shame. This is the spot a little bit downstream from "the stairs". It's a prime fishing area because there is a little bit of current with a mix of shoals and pools (this is not a secret). And it's further down from the dam so, even though you get kayak traffic, you are spared the chaos of people loading & unloading their boats.

I understand that "the river belongs to everyone" etc. but increased kayak traffic is not what this river needs. At some point, it would be smart policy to designate an area for fishermen (or better yet, fly fishermen).
Old 01-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Is the area being cleared on the campground side or Boy Scout trail side?

Fishing there over the years, between the Middle Tennessee population boom and the huge growth in kayak sales it has gotten pretty ridiculous up there.

That being said I caught over a hundred trout up there on Sunday.😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 03:50 PM

The Caney could be a blue-ribbon trout stream if it were managed just a bit better. A catch and release trophy section along with better flows and generation schedules would help tremendously.

Last edited by tkwalker; 01-23-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
Is the area being cleared on the campground side or Boy Scout trail side?

Fishing there over the years, between the Middle Tennessee population boom and the huge growth in kayak sales it has gotten pretty ridiculous up there.

That being said I caught over a hundred trout up there on Sunday.��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that should Keep the General Pubic off that spot!!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:25 PM
Master Trout Magnet

According to a Corp official they are going to limit the number of kayaks....canoes....that the outfitters put in. They can’t control individuals but evidently they can can limit the outfitters. The reason behind it is the sheer number of swift water rescues that are taking place each year. The number I was quoted was around 40 rescues for 2017. I’m sure this will not go over well with the outfitters. As to a ramp that would have to,be approved by several...including TWRA and the Corp. One can’t just put in a ramp because they want to.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 AM

The Caney has been ruined for most fishermen, especially the fly guys. There used to actually be rising fish on the Caney, not anymore. The unlimited kayak brigades have put them down. It is a special fishery during certain times of the year, but it’s just not the same. In every state out west, where outfitters make money off public resources, there are permits, laying out number of launches and “outfitter” days.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 PM
TN Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
According to a Corp official they are going to limit the number of kayaks....canoes....that the outfitters put in. They can’t control individuals but evidently they can can limit the outfitters. The reason behind it is the sheer number of swift water rescues that are taking place each year. The number I was quoted was around 40 rescues for 2017. I’m sure this will not go over well with the outfitters. As to a ramp that would have to,be approved by several...including TWRA and the Corp. One can’t just put in a ramp because they want to.

Regards

Most of the water rescues stem from one particular outfitter. The other is a lot more responsible from my experience
Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheeled View Post
Most of the water rescues stem from one particular outfitter. The other is a lot more responsible from my experience

That’s true......but whatever regs they come up with will apply to all outfitters. If they go through with it going to be a few unhappy outfitters.

Regards