FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 PM

Default Center hill advice

Never fished center hill. Really want to go in February for smallmouth and spots. I have no idea where to start. Not asking for any secret holes but any general advice on where to launch and what areas to focus for first timer would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 05:49 AM

I'm getting ready to head up there now. Two weeks ago today the smallmouth were shallow for the most part. 5 feet or less. We did catch a couple out in 20-25 feet. They were on the main lake and holding on flatter points. I'm sure it's changed somewhat and if we have any success I'll report back later tonight. The one thing that stood out last time was that you couldn't fish bait. I found zero fishable bait. All the bait was in 70-100 feet and on or near the bottom.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyyak View Post
Never fished center hill. Really want to go in February for smallmouth and spots. I have no idea where to start. Not asking for any secret holes but any general advice on where to launch and what areas to focus for first timer would be much appreciated.

I'm still trying to learn CH myself, from my experience if the water temp is 45-48 look at 25-30 ft , and like texas rigged posted the other day if it gets over 50 they get much shallower.

I've had all my success on CH in the spring, fall and early winter, so far in January and last February I've had a rough go of it, watched my buddy catch them without a problem though lol, if you are looking for a starting point I've done much better at Dry Creek than any other part of the lake
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 PM

We fished all day today. We had several keeper smallmouth early and then the bite got tough. The water temp was 45 when we put in. The smallmouth were very active until the sun came out. We caught several and only 1 wasn't a keeper. They were in 8-12 feet of water and hanging around gravel banks with big chunk rock mixed in. After the sun got high the bite got tough. Caught some largemouth in the back of some main lake pockets.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Master Trout Magnet

I’ve done very well on Center Hill in the winter. If you follow my posts you know I fish micro jigs....the Trout Magnet.......and 2# test line. It has served me well....see pics. You don’t have to fish a TM but I would suggest you use UL tackle...or light......and small jigs and finesse it. I don’t fish that much in the winter anymore. I would start in Florida Branch....fishing the sharp drops on chunk rock.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyyak View Post

If I heard right Chris Snow will be doing a seminar about fishing Center Hill at the Wilson County Expo. Not sure the exact times but the event is Feb 2,3,4.
http://www.tnboatexpo.com/

Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 PM

Thanks guys