FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 AM

Default July fly advice

Guys,

I have been fishing the Caney Fork with rod, reel and bait for 30 years. I have decided to try fly fishing for trout. I always catch and release, I don't care for eating fish so I have decided to take up fly fishing for the challenge. I am going to be there for the next couple weeks on vacation. Can you guys recommend some good flies to use this time of the year? I was just planning on trying a black wooly booger to start with but would really appreciate your suggestions for a beginner.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 06-30-2017, 09:54 AM

Black zebra midge in size 16 or 18 is a year round fly for the Caney. You can mix up the color with olive or tan if you want to experiment. Scuds and sowbugs do well also. I drift them all under an indicator but have also caught them stripping the fly in as well.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Great Information. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytoncreekhunter View Post
Black zebra midge in size 16 or 18 is a year round fly for the Caney. You can mix up the color with olive or tan if you want to experiment. Scuds and sowbugs do well also. I drift them all under an indicator but have also caught them stripping the fly in as well.
Sir, Fly fishing is a small percentage of our forum discussions. It is nice to have someone who can forward this information on to other Fly anglers. This is your first post since becoming a member in 2011. Please continue, this is what our forum is all about ... Thanks .. <'TK><
Old 06-30-2017, 11:46 AM
rookie

What Payton said!, but also, try a white wooly booger or a white clouser minow about an inch or inch and a half in size, cast upstream and stripped fast, that caught me many a trout on the caney during my fly fishing days, good luck, stay safe and keep an eye on the generation schedule
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM
TN Transplant

I posted on your thread on another forum but I'll add this... keep your leader and tippet as light as you can get away with. I typically throw a 6x leader with a 7x tippet. I'm not a veteran fly fisherman so others may disagree but that has been my experience on the Caney. They're very line shy on normal flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Sunfish Assassin

All mentioned Flys are good might also want to try the trout magnet minis they are deadly.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:08 PM

Thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Jon
Old 07-03-2017, 03:52 PM

Day in and day out, a 16-20 black or olive zebra midge will do the trick. Sometimes the difference between getting strikes or not is 1) drag on the line or 2) wrong depth. A soft hackle works well if you have rising fish.

Granted, I have days where I can't get the good ole zebra to work. On those days I'll try stripping a guacamole stick or a bugger.

I know people catch them on sow bugs and scuds...I've just never caught great numbers with those patterns...might just be me though.

I'm a C&R guy too. I de-barb all my hooks...it helps on the release part.