FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Default Trailer Wiring/Plug

So my wifes dog decided it was a good idea to chew off and eat the plug for the trailer lights. I have the replacement plug but im wondering what will be the best way to re-wire it so it will last a while? what connectors should i get that i can get at walmart or Home Depot/Lowes? should i go nuts with electrical tape after i reconnect the wires or maybe get some of that liquid electrical tape?

i shouldnt be too surprised or mad at the dog, it eats dirt and chews on rocks! LOL.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Red face

Hey John, You should try the waterproof pin connectors with dieletric grease...buy a few connectors and another pigtail so the next time the doggo chews it off you can just plug the new one in and save the marriage.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:58 PM

Exclamation

If you want it to last. (permanent)Solder it and use heatshrink tubing.

If you want it to last a while.(Years) Use proper heatshrink butt connectors.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile One Better! .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Hey John, You should try the waterproof pin connectors with dieletric grease...buy a few connectors and another pigtail so the next time the doggo chews it off you can just plug the new one in and save the marriage.
John, just buy an extra plug... and wire in an extension cord and plug it in to the wall outlet... 120vac ... If the dog is not dumber than a rock (like one of my dumb but very sweet cats) This will only happen once... lesson learned... Just kidding!! ... well kinda ...

This reminds me of when I was a kid in the 50's ... We had a Cocker Spaniel that came in heat... She had to stay outside ... So my Dad built a wood frame pin and attached chicken wire on all perimeters ... He leashed the dog in the middle of the pin so she could not reach the wire... Then He attached an AC cord to the fence and a ground rod. I can remember being awoke with the Yelps in the middle of the night of various Male dogs who walked by and pissed on the fence .. That hurts me to think about it !! Ouch .. But Liabilities and our culture was different then for sure . <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 05-13-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Fishing Fool

Heat shrink butt connectors will be fine. Use them all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk