FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-12-2017, 01:40 PM

Default Selecting a bait caster and rod

So I'm in the market for a baitcaster rod and reel. All I've ever really used is light spinning gear because most of the fishing I do is wading or on the bank. I'd like to get into the baitcasting world and was wondering what a good first choice would be. I'm trying to keep the reel in the $80-$120 range and I haven't even begun to research rods. My biggest conundrum is trying to figure out a gear ratio. I understand that certain lures work better with specific ratios but was wondering if there is a universal speed to start out with? I was thinking maybe something like 6.4:1 would be a good one to start out since it's in the mid range. Would I still be able to effectively use slower moving baits (like swim baits or deep crank baits) and fast moving baits (like topwater and soft plastics/jigs). Am I getting too technical for buying my first baitcaster?

Along the same lines as the baitcaster, what would be a good universal rod to use?

I have looked at the pflueger president, supreme xt, abu garcia revo sx, and some of the 13 fishing reels. Any others I should consider? A little more money wouldn't absolutely break the bank.

What about the Bass Pro branded rods and reels? Are they a good option?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:33 PM

Thumbs up

Abu Garcia Revo SX is awesome and on sale at 99 bucks.
Get better gear as you will thank yourself because it really does make a difference.

I have a couple Bass Pro brands and they are nice so far but all is new 1 year.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:40 PM

I agree on the Revo SX. Ive got one and its a pretty smooth reel. I also have a quantum EXO that i got from cabels...paid $99....regular $249. they both cast great. The gear ratio on both is middle of the road. I dont do enough specific fishing to warrant several ratio's. I search the sales, put my hands on them and buy what feels good to me.
Personally, in the past i have had bad luck with BPS branded baitcasting reels. Maybe things have changed in the past few years for them, im not sure.
I have an array of rod brands. Quantum KVD cranking rod, BPS crankin stick, Academy Sports H2O Ethos.
Im alot pickier on rod action than gear ratio. I do throw big cranks so i got the 7'+ KVD cranking rod which is a dream to launch baits all day. Then my Academy rod is my universal topwater, jig (1/4 oz is the biggest i use) worm, ect. Then a few more varying lengths and actions as spares in the boat.
Determine what you are going to throw and start your rod search from there. If you dont plan on chunking big baits a long ways, no need for a big cranking rod. A good 6'-6" to 7' medium action should work fine for bank stuff. Then tweek your reel brake to toss lighter or smaller stuff.
My academy baitcaster is my go-to jigging rod in the winter and im jigging 1oz blade baits and 1.25oz leadheads and it performs great.
When you have a universal setup, there isnt much you cant do! now i wouldnt target big cats or stripers on my academy rod just due to tackle requirements, BUT, should i stick one, it would make for a fun fight ya know.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Fishing Fool

I like the Lews reels. Most of my reels are lews. A good ratio is 6.3ish:1. Also if you're wanting a good all around rod, you really can't beat a Berkley lightning rod. And if you use braided line, you'll love the berkley Lightning shock rod. I love the ones I have and they are $30-40!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 AM

This is just my 2 cents. Go to land big fish dot com and by you a shimano curado 200. They are on sale for $119. If this reel cost $300, I would still have a boat full of them. I have several of those reels paired with a Powell max3d rod. The rods run $159. They have a lifetime $40 replacement warranty(no questions asked). This combo really balances out well and performs like a high end combo. One thing to know about the curado 200 is that these reels are a little stiff feeling when brand new. Once it's broken in it is a very very smooth reel. I have more expensive combos but when i pick tgis combo up it never feels like a cheap replacement.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 AM

Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier or Carbonlite reel, paired with Carbonlite 6'9" MH rod.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 PM

Shimano Curado
Lews Speed Spool
Abu Garcia Revo or Winch

I like Duckett Ghost 7' medium rods for lighter duty
For rolling a 6XD I prefer the 7'10" Ike series Abu Garcia rods