FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-02-2019, 05:20 PM
Dakota S

Default Deka vs Interstate Battery

I’ve used Deka batteries for my 24V trolling motor since 2007. They’ve been pretty good overall. I do have one Interstate battery that I use to run a single sonar unit.
My question is, are Deka and Interstate about the same quality or is one better? I was tempted to buy Interstate batteries for my trolling motor set up this time?
Dakota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I’ve used Deka batteries for my 24V trolling motor since 2007. They’ve been pretty good overall. I do have one Interstate battery that I use to run a single sonar unit.
My question is, are Deka and Interstate about the same quality or is one better? I was tempted to buy Interstate batteries for my trolling motor set up this time?
Dakota

At one time I swore by Interstate batteries, but but I feel now days they aren't any better than Deka's. I use 4 type 31 semi batteries in my truck and the last batch didn't last me 2 yrs.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:36 PM

My brother works for a car museum. They have hundreds of cars/trucks/motorcyles and use Deka. One of the mechanics that works there told me the Dekas are hit and miss. Some last for a few years and some don’t. Regardless of product #/size and 90% of the vehicles are in a conditioned environment. The last trolling motor battery I bought was from m Wal-Mart and so far so good.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:53 PM

Bought a new boat 4-13-18, came with Interstate batteries, trolling motor battery won't charge , had an old walmart battery from my old boat which is about 4 years old that I put in and still works great

Will never likely buy a Interstate battery again
Old 11-02-2019, 10:33 PM

I started using AC Delco deep cycle for my trolling motor. Better warranty and I have not had any problems from them. Before them I used Deca batteries. Maintenance is important in any battery . I use a battery tender on my crankin battery an I have the Minn Kota 2 bank charger for the trolling motor batteries.
I used Ever Start for years until Wal-Mart changed the warranty coverage. I had a set go bad and was out of town. The store I was at told me I had to take them back to the store where I bought them.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:21 AM
Fishing Fool

With batteries only lasting 2-3 years I use Walmart 31’s. This last set I had lasted me a little over 4 years. I have dekas in there now because they were free from work. They’ve been in there for 2years and I have one that needs replaced already.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:33 AM

I second the Wal Mart batteries. I used to go into Nashville to get the Deka batteries, but Wal Mart's are made by Johnson Controls and are solid. I fish a lot, and my last trolling motor battery lasted over 4 years. I believe that the charger/tender has a lot to do with the battery life.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep !! <'TK><

Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post

I think I have stated this before ... When I was guiding I was sponsored by a couple of Battery Manufactures... But to be honest the best batteries I have used was the Walmart Batteries which are made by Johnson Controls. I used 5 batteries on my guide boat, Trolling, Bait tanks, electronics and starting ..

I really don't know what Sam's Sells ... But I can't believe it would be somebody other than Johnson Controls ... By the way one of my sponsors was Interstate ... <'TK><
Old 11-03-2019, 11:50 AM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
My brother works for a car museum. They have hundreds of cars/trucks/motorcyles and use Deka. One of the mechanics that works there told me the Dekas are hit and miss. Some last for a few years and some don’t. Regardless of product #/size and 90% of the vehicles are in a conditioned environment. The last trolling motor battery I bought was from m Wal-Mart and so far so good.

You are spot on with hit or miss and thats why I'm thinking about changing. Ive had some last 3 years but what I have in there now I bought in June 18 and Ill need to change them soon.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Dakota S

Thanks for all the input! Good stuff. Sounds like I need to check out the Walmart batteries.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 PM

I bought Duracell 29 flooded from Sams last year. They list for $99 but they have ran a $20 off each a couple of times. I only have a year on them so I can’t say how they do long term. I have heard good things about the Walmart batteries though.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:29 PM

I boat ever start at Walmart in April for my engine. Used it 3 times and went to use it in September after having it in the shop..The Battery was Bad already..took it to Walmart they honored the warranty and agreed it was bad. BUT with the new warranty its only good til April which is when i bought the bad one..I thought it should've been when i swapped them out and got the new one but....Nope.
As for DEKA I had one for years! Great Battery!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Always get batteries from Batteries Plus.
Batteries last forever.
Never even had to worry about warranty.
But always have had wonderful customer service.