FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-27-2018, 06:09 AM

Default A tip for tube fishing

I love throwing a tube. It's a great flipping bait and it's a great bait to fish this time of year on steep banks. I always texas rig a tube. The only downside to tube fishing is line twist. It will ruin fluorocarbon line in no time. I exclusively use Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon and it's pretty expensive. The other day I spooled up some new line and after one night of fishing my line was trashed. I researched a solution and found what I was looking for. If you will tie a barrel swivel to the end of your line and tie a 15 inch leader to the swivel then your good to go. I just cut 15 inches off my main line and use that as my leader. It's going to save me a lot of money. Hope this helps someone that was having the same issue. BTW the stike king flipping tubes are the most durable that I've found. The head of the tube isn't hollow but is solid instead. I am averaging 4-6 fish per tube with SK versus 2-3 fish with other brands.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I love throwing a tube. It's a great flipping bait and it's a great bait to fish this time of year on steep banks. I always texas rig a tube. The only downside to tube fishing is line twist. It will ruin fluorocarbon line in no time. I exclusively use Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon and it's pretty expensive. The other day I spooled up some new line and after one night of fishing my line was trashed. I researched a solution and found what I was looking for. If you will tie a barrel swivel to the end of your line and tie a 15 inch leader to the swivel then your good to go. I just cut 15 inches off my main line and use that as my leader. It's going to save me a lot of money. Hope this helps someone that was having the same issue. BTW the stike king flipping tubes are the most durable that I've found. The head of the tube isn't hollow but is solid instead. I am averaging 4-6 fish per tube with SK versus 2-3 fish with other brands.
Good idea, I've never used a tube but I notice that those rage tail shad also twist so I'm going to try that with them

BTW, have you ever heard of K9 flouro? its not 100% flouro as it has nano particles added to combat memory, all the benefits of flouro without the memory, it also is very durable, been lasting twice as long as the spider wire flouro I had been using , smooth and strong and best of all 550 yards is just under $20
Old 07-27-2018, 09:38 AM

Great info. You mind posting a picture of your version of a Texas rigged tube? I don’t bass fish often but I always struggled to get tubes to rig straight and look natural.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Good idea, I've never used a tube but I notice that those rage tail shad also twist so I'm going to try that with them

BTW, have you ever heard of K9 flouro? its not 100% flouro as it has nano particles added to combat memory, all the benefits of flouro without the memory, it also is very durable, been lasting twice as long as the spider wire flouro I had been using , smooth and strong and best of all 550 yards is just under $20
I've used it but I'm not a fan. Sunline is the smoothest casting fluorocarbon that I've found. The swivel trick worked flawlessly for me the other night.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatNFish View Post
Great info. You mind posting a picture of your version of a Texas rigged tube? I don’t bass fish often but I always struggled to get tubes to rig straight and look natural.
No problem. I don't use a tube jig head. I wil use a 2/0 or 3/0 extra wide gap hook with a tungsten sinker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1089.JPG (1.78 MB, 77 views)
Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
No problem. I don't use a tube jig head. I wil use a 2/0 or 3/0 extra wide gap hook with a tungsten sinker.
Thanks! I was always trying to use the sinkers that you shove up inside the tube then thread your hook through. Just never seemed to be able to get the right combination of tube/sinker/hook to get a good presentation. That Texas rig looks good!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:11 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Wrong end Mister we want to see the Swivel not the bait!!!!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Wrong end Mister we want to see the Swivel not the bait!!!!
If you can zoom in you'll be able to see it. Probably more like a 2 foot leader there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1090.JPG (3.01 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 07-27-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Thumbs up

Nice setup I shall try it on the Cumby!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 PM
ALANRAYG2

I have used a similar setup for sauger fishing. I would use 20# braid for the main line with a swivel then 12# fluro. I liked the ball bearing swivels best.