FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-20-2019, 12:09 PM

Default Fishing in this heat

Hello gentlemen & ladies (if we have any here)... It has been hotter than a cast iron skillet on a fire outside these past couple weeks. I think the fish are even sweating.

I realize they are going deep and I realize they have to eat, but do you think with all this excessive heat would cause them to abstain from feeding ? How hot is too hot I guess is what I'm asking.

I ask this because most of our lakes lack vegetation which give off oxygen and provide shade
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Hello gentlemen & ladies (if we have any here)... It has been hotter than a cast iron skillet on a fire outside these past couple weeks. I think the fish are even sweating.

I realize they are going deep and I realize they have to eat, but do you think with all this excessive heat would cause them to abstain from feeding ? How hot is too hot I guess is what I'm asking.

I ask this because most of our lakes lack vegetation which give off oxygen and provide shade

Some of the best fishing is in this heat as the bass are very predictable...on humps, points, and drop-offs. Your making jigs so they are perfect for deeper probing. 3 and 4" grubs are dynamite for this type fishing. Bass eat year-round...jigs are perfect for finding them.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:

Back when I tourney fished in the 70's/80's in the GABA (They allowed Poles)I did very well especially at Lake Barkley around Dover in Late July and August fishing Buck Bushes .... Contrary to belief the best Bass were caught were about 20 yards from the creek channels ... Even though the surface temps was around 90 deg's .. and a mud flat bottom and around 3 to 6 feet deep... The reason being there was more O2 in the warmer water .. And yes the creek channel is cooler but it has less O2 do to it's density ... Just thought I would pass that alone ... <'TK><
Old 07-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:

Old hickory is starting to get some thick hydrilla in a few areas of the lake and has proven fruitful. But from what I’ve been seeing there have been some very nice fish being caught deep and off shore. Couple weeks ago there was an 8.4lb largemouth weighed in at a tournament out of rockland. A bass that big in the summer is rare, especially old hick.

With that being said I’ve been on a very good numbers bite with fish schooling on the shad fry schools. Also ran into a huge school of big white bass last Sunday. Between the last two sundays I’ve put over 100 fish in the boat. Not all bass. Drum, white bass and catfish have been in the mix. Small 1.0 square bills and small swimbaits have been my big producers. I have yet to find a good size school on old hick this year deep but they are there, so I’ve heard. I’d rather fish than idle looking. That’s my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2019, 10:39 PM

pretty sure I read on here once that the best time to fish is when its hot and the fish aren't actively feeding because they will be easy to find , I thought it was a crazy statement but the last couple of weeks most all my fish came in the blazing sun fishing grass, cruise around with sidescan and find fish in the grass, throw a magnum fluke and work across the tops of the grass, been very effective