FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Default Where are the catfish ?

I realize most here are into bass fishing, but I know there are some that secretly catfish..

I never realized how heavily fished the river is between Rome all the way up to the dam. I mean so much so that I'm beginning to think its fished out. I say this because I see people out there everyday, then you have the weekend where you can see dozens of boats, mostly fishing for cats.

Anyhow the surface water temp is 65-68* so I doubt they are deep in the channel due to water temp. I'm at a loss, I have tried cut shad.. flapper shad... skipjack... chicken liver and nothing.

Soooo it appears I need to look elsewhere to these elusive creatures of the waters... Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated b/c I'm at a loss.

On a side note, I fished Gallatin once and I noticed one bluff had lines ever hundred feet.. Sorry that's not sport fishing.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Oh there's more than you think on here..They just snoop..LOL...I got bored with Bass long ago..It's a way overrated fish. They get up to 12lbs or maybe a bit bigger but catfish pose a challenge.Especially the 30+ flat heads.Try to bully/Hoss one of those in with your pretty lil Bass Tourney sponsored shirts.LOL. My son hand noodles for them and got his biggest yesterday!

I'll message you whats theyre hitting right now.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennoutdrsman View Post
Oh there's more than you think on here..They just snoop..LOL...I got bored with Bass long ago..It's a way overrated fish. They get up to 12lbs or maybe a bit bigger but catfish pose a challenge.Especially the 30+ flat heads.Try to bully/Hoss one of those in with your pretty lil Bass Tourney sponsored shirts.LOL. My son hand noodles for them and got his biggest yesterday!

I'll message you whats theyre hitting right now.
I used to love fishing for catfish on the Tennessee River when I was a kid. We had a camp down in Lobelville and I spent every summer and Christmas break on the river as a kid. Then I got old enough for hormones to kick in and I was only interested in a different kitty cat. I didn't start bass fishing until I was 32. Now I don't have the patience to catfish. I just can't throw a bait out and wait anymore. I have to be casting and moving. BTW the world record largemouth bass is 25lbs! I do catch big flatheads from time to time while bass fishing. I've caught a couple over 20lbs and it's a lot of fun on 14lb line. It's hard to just get them off the bottom of the lake. It gets easier when you can get them off the bottom and swimming around
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 PM

While I haven't fished OH this year, when I do for Katfish, I use jugs along the channel breaks 6-15 ft deep baited with cooked shrimp from box marx (stays on the hook longer). Last year in three hours I had 9 fish before I got hot and called it quits. By-the-way it takes two people when they are biting well simply chasing down jugs.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 PM
TroutBuster

Check out Cane Hollow off Center Hill... They're biting on everything! Toss out a few jugs and an hour later sure enough there's cats at the end of em all! 😀

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk