FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Default Navigating with docking lights and spotlights FYI

Just heard from TWRA that navigating at night with docking lights, headlights or a spotlight is indeed illegal in Tennessee

it was explained to me that Tn adopted the USCG inland navigation regulations that prohibits use of them

Just an FYI
Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 PM

Exclamation

Did not Mister Walker explain recently that in Navigable waters we have the right to spot Buoy markers so to navigate the channel.

Really that's all one would have to do is say they were using such lights to navigate!

I do understand blinding another ship but this is something that could at this time be won in a court of law if an Accident case was to be.

The real problem is todays LED lighting and improper usage of them IE folks that have added then to their Auto's and Truck's but don't understand the angle that the lights need to be aimed. An LED should never be aimed in the same line of site as an Incandescent.

As for me I shall use Running lights when Needed but I really see better with moonlite!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Did not Mister Walker explain recently that in Navigable waters we have the right to spot Buoy markers so to navigate the channel.

Really that's all one would have to do is say they were using such lights to navigate!

I do understand blinding another ship but this is something that could at this time be won in a court of law if an Accident case was to be.

The real problem is todays LED lighting and improper usage of them IE folks that have added then to their Auto's and Truck's but don't understand the angle that the lights need to be aimed. An LED should never be aimed in the same line of site as an Incandescent.

As for me I shall use Running lights when Needed but I really see better with moonlite!

Yes that's what he said but TWRA is saying something different , I'm not arguing whether its right or wrong just relaying what I was told lol

Also the officer told me that white lights on the front will cause other boaters not to see the red and green navigation lights

Last edited by Schleprock; 06-20-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 PM

Yeah I can understand the being blinded part and Trust me when over 45-50 years of age it changes 50% that person as to what level lights affect your vision!

Good thing for me Years back I changed my Nav lamps to Led when they said Oh Man you can't run Led.
A marine store had them on sale for like 15 bucks and they really show well... Much further than the incandescent pole style. Now I have 5" Red and Green that looks as great on my Boat an 89 as a new Basscat.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Just heard from TWRA that navigating at night with docking lights, headlights or a spotlight is indeed illegal in Tennessee

it was explained to me that Tn adopted the USCG inland navigation regulations that prohibits use of them

Just an FYI
OKAY ... I will agree with the docking lights and headlights ... But whoever you spoke to may need to double check his spot light reg ..

Just like someone previously stated ... just park at the end of Lock 4 road (park) in Gallatin and watch the barges going to the Steam Plant .. Or the next time you go to Tunica to spend a few $$ ... There is a very nice Mississippi River history Museum there and it has a parking area so you can watch the night time barge traffic (and their spotlights) Better yet I'm passing through St. Louis tomorrow and Sunday don't know my schedule but if it as night I'll try to get pic for you ...

The TWRA may have adopted some USCG reg BUT I'll bet your sweet Beepy that the Spotlight reg is still there. That is the only way you can navigate at night to detect mile markers and buoy's as well when entering way points for Dam locking etc ....

I don't know who you spoke with at the TWRA ... BUT the USCG is the authority on Inland Navigable waterways as well as the Corps of Eng. to maintain, dredge, set buoys etc ... The TWRA is not !!They are kind of the policing authority of our Tennessee Waters Safety, etc.. But it is kind of like comparing the local county sheriffs Dept to the FBI.. Go to any major commercial port and all you will see is the USCG...

The next time you talk to whomever at TWRA about this Subject have him call me ... I bet he doesn't have a USCG Capt. Lic... ...I do!! .........TK
Old 06-20-2019, 11:57 PM

I did a little research and read the bi-laws/regulations and basically it doesn't say you can't have it, but rather it cannot interfere with the reg/green bow lights, thus the use of handheld spot light.

I have since removed my LED lights because all it did was blind me, however I did install a pr of incandescent spot/driving light that produce mainly a flat beam. I've not used them yet, but I did previously use one light and although it was yellowish, it gave me the dense light I was looking for to spot the river shoreline up by me (Rome area)... so I should be able to be able to see what I need with 2 even though they aren't a white light like LEDs.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:03 AM

It is also illegal to be moving with black lights on that the night bass fishermen use. In order to use any light other than your navigation lights you must be anchored or moored.nn That includes lights inside of your boat also.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
OKAY ... I will agree with the docking lights and headlights ... But whoever you spoke to may need to double check his spot light reg ..

Just like someone previously stated ... just park at the end of Lock 4 road (park) in Gallatin and watch the barges going to the Steam Plant .. Or the next time you go to Tunica to spend a few $$ ... There is a very nice Mississippi River history Museum there and it has a parking area so you can watch the night time barge traffic (and their spotlights) Better yet I'm passing through St. Louis tomorrow and Sunday don't know my schedule but if it as night I'll try to get pic for you ...

The TWRA may have adopted some USCG reg BUT I'll bet your sweet Beepy that the Spotlight reg is still there. That is the only way you can navigate at night to detect mile markers and buoy's as well when entering way points for Dam locking etc ....

I don't know who you spoke with at the TWRA ... BUT the USCG is the authority on Inland Navigable waterways as well as the Corps of Eng. to maintain, dredge, set buoys etc ... The TWRA is not !!They are kind of the policing authority of our Tennessee Waters Safety, etc.. But it is kind of like comparing the local county sheriffs Dept to the FBI.. Go to any major commercial port and all you will see is the USCG...

The next time you talk to whomever at TWRA about this Subject have him call me ... I bet he doesn't have a USCG Capt. Lic... ...I do!! .........TK

I believe you, he did seem a little unprepared on a few of my questions regarding a spotlight especially when I asked if I can use a spotlight if I think I see an obstruction in the water , he kind of hemmed and hawed on the answer and really never did answer he just said a white light cancels out the red and green navigation lights

I decided not to buy the front RAK lights and bought a spotlight instead ,if I get into trouble oh well, I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 lol
Old 06-21-2019, 09:01 PM

Yeah but these guys with $70,000 bass boats want to be flashy at night too! Might not catch any fish but they will look like it Lol. Please turn them off when your running guys. Most night fisherman know that when your heading towards each other it's hard to tell which direction the other boat is heading when they have blacklights on. Of course, nowadays there are some that just don't give a shit about you.