FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Default Old Hickory Bream Bite Hot

Been checking the beds for a couple weeks, today was the day. They are loaded and willing. Fished main lake flats (launched out of Shutes ramp). Caught all I wanted to clean, plenty left. Caught half on ultralite and half on flyrod. Mix of bluegill and shellcrackers. Also saw a few mayflies at the ramp, so I think this weekend will be rocking for multi species.

Check out the wild spawn color on this shellcracker. The fins looked painted black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0659.JPG (1.83 MB, 122 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterwalt View Post
Been checking the beds for a couple weeks, today was the day. They are loaded and willing. Fished main lake flats (launched out of Shutes ramp). Caught all I wanted to clean, plenty left. Caught half on ultralite and half on flyrod. Mix of bluegill and shellcrackers. Also saw a few mayflies at the ramp, so I think this weekend will be rocking for multi species.

Check out the wild spawn color on this shellcracker. The fins looked painted black.

Nice catch. This report gives me more info on bedding Gills. Not too far away at flats around Cedar Creek they spawned a couple of weeks back. Hundreds of beds now only have a few spawned out fish on them. I mean they are so wore out from spawning they look anorexic. I am going to keep checking the area to see if they have a second spawn. My experience with a 2nd spawn is there will be a few go to the beds but nothing even close to the size of the first spawn.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 AM

Nice catch. I didn't realize hick had those size gills. Never saw a gill that dark. Awesome .
Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM

Went back this morning, took a friend, 35+ caught. Most were this size. We only fished one bed and never moved more than 10 ft. Meal worms were the hot bait today, a few on trout magnets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1922.JPG (541.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterwalt View Post

(new guy here... hello!)

Lake fishing is pretty new to me. I fished a lot last year on Old Hickory for the first time. I bought a boat this spring and have been trying to figure out the bass...

I like to take my boys out and catch bluegill. We went out a couple of weeks ago with crickets and fished the little coves around Spencer Creek. We caught a dozen, but only 1 worth keeping (we turned it loose).

Any tips for finding them this time of year? What depth were you in? Crickets/worms? You said you were on flats... off the main channel, or in coves? Sorry - I'm not asking you to give me GPS coordinates, but I appreciate any tips.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
(new guy here... hello!)

Lake fishing is pretty new to me. I fished a lot last year on Old Hickory for the first time. I bought a boat this spring and have been trying to figure out the bass...

I like to take my boys out and catch bluegill. We went out a couple of weeks ago with crickets and fished the little coves around Spencer Creek. We caught a dozen, but only 1 worth keeping (we turned it loose).

Any tips for finding them this time of year? What depth were you in? Crickets/worms? You said you were on flats... off the main channel, or in coves? Sorry - I'm not asking you to give me GPS coordinates, but I appreciate any tips.

Hey buddy good to see you over here. There are several of us TNDeer folks around here. I don't catch the gills on OH but on Center hill we catch them on 2-4 lb line with just a hook and split shot. We usually fish coves in water 3-10 feet deep. Just let the hook/cricket sink to the bottom and watch/feel your line. If you get too shallow you tend to catch smaller fish. Oh, dbllunger by the way.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttitan27 View Post
Hey buddy good to see you over here. There are several of us TNDeer folks around here. I don't catch the gills on OH but on Center hill we catch them on 2-4 lb line with just a hook and split shot. We usually fish coves in water 3-10 feet deep. Just let the hook/cricket sink to the bottom and watch/feel your line. If you get too shallow you tend to catch smaller fish. Oh, dbllunger by the way.

Well howdy!

These lakes are a whole lot different than the farm ponds I'm used to! I think it any try to take the boys out again tomorrow evening. I saw several in some coves today while bass fishing.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Exclamation Love the Bream bite

Sorry for hijacking thread Walt.

TNreb
You can find Bream in any shallow cove right now and if you use a small lure called Trout magnet it works wonders but also crickets, worms, meal worms and any panfish nuggets.
3 ft is the average depth and use your nose as you can smell spawning panfish. (unless Agelessone is around it could be him)

Last edited by Halli; 05-23-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Sorry for hijacking thread Walt.

TNreb
You can find Bream in any shallow cove right now and if you use a small lure called Trout magnet it works wonders but also crickets, worms, meal worms and any panfish nuggets.
3 ft is the average depth and use your nose as you can smell spawning panfish. (unless Agelessone is around it could be him)
Thanks for the tip. I have some trout magnets. Will give them a shot. Fishing with crickets and two kids is rough.... their crickets get bit off quicker than I can keep them rigged.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:47 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

unless Agelessone is around it could be him)

HEY! I resemble that remark!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:58 PM

Took my boys out this evening. We caught around 25 in about an hour and a half on trout magnets. They were all small though. We probably only caught 3 that I would have cleaned.

They had fun, and that's why we went, but I wouldn't mind catching some worth eating!
Old 05-26-2018, 02:15 AM

Folks the above pictures is what fishing is all about in my book. The smile on those boys says it all. Fish may have been small but they will remember that day I promise. My kids are 27 and 21 and they still remind me when "we caught all those fish". Size doesn't matter at that age. I love it.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystratos View Post
Folks the above pictures is what fishing is all about in my book. The smile on those boys says it all. Fish may have been small but they will remember that day I promise. My kids are 27 and 21 and they still remind me when "we caught all those fish". Size doesn't matter at that age. I love it.

Truer words never spoken. The other day down at Nickajack I had a great day of fishing. But while I was catching those fish I don’t remember smiling.....I was having fun but I wasn’t laughing nor smiling. As I slowly motored back over to the ramp I notice some kids....looked to be about 8-12 years of age fishing off the dock a little ways down from ramp. One of them had caught a bluegill Such excitement you have never seen. They were all laughing, smiling......just carrying on like it was the biggest fish in the water. That brought a big smile to my face.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 AM

Alphahawk,you sir must be smiling behind that camera because not everyone has that skill and knowledge to do what you do. My hat is off to you sir. Smile big and say dang I'm good.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Dakota S

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk