FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-28-2018, 02:08 PM

Default Jon Boat Restoration

Hello. I have not been on the forum in quite some time and decided I would get back on. Due to not having much to do over the summer I decided to restore an old job boat that’s been sitting in my yard for a year and a half. What steps should I take for stripping the old paint and putting new paint on as well as putting the paint on because I do not have any experience on how to layer all the paint and primer and such. The hull is in very good shape even though it looks like it needs repair. I have attached pictures and will keep everyone updated on how the restoration goes! (By the way I drained the water that is in the pictures)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0A1760D6-6A1C-44D5-9297-5C7DABB20B59.jpeg (231.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpeg C2F7B921-8CA5-44A7-A4F6-BE4CF959B08E.jpeg (258.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Well, you definitely need to fix those TN numbers . . . they're reversed and backward.

Seriously, have fun on this job. For me, the ideal way to deal with that paint (and get down to base aluminum everywhere) would be to media blast both hull and topsides (after removing any wood, etc). Best medium would be dry ice, but I don't know of anyone that does it locally.

Barring the media blast . . . chemical strip. Before going to new paint, I'd first ask the team at Line-X about what they might suggest.

Keep the pics coming!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 PM

I re-painted my flat bottom when i bought it used. It was a hot mess. The guy glued down that cheap looking artificial grass and 3 colors of green paint.
I took the labor intensive route and did it all by hand.
Palm sander on the paint and razor blade to get all the carpet and glue off. I have an air compressor so for $15-$20 i went to harbor frieght and bought a high volume/low pressure spray gun. It held a few cups of paint and did a great job.
The paint i used came from Tractor Supply and it was thier farm equipment line of paint. You can find "boat paint" but i didnt want to invest the added money.
There were several holes above the water line he made for various reasons so i got a stick of JB Weld and fixed them. Put in new plywood floors then painted them with Deck Over (i think thats the name) from Home Depot. Its that really thick paint they advertise to apply on old decks, i used that to make it non slip.
It turned out great! i had a few places on the bottom of the hull that flaked off from beaching it, but overall it turned out great. Sand, clean, sand, clean. Make sure you are grit free before you repaint to be sure you have good adhesion.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:13 PM

Decided I am most likely going to put a casting deck on it too with some lumber found a great template
Old 04-29-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater1 View Post
Decided I am most likely going to put a casting deck on it too with some lumber found a great template
Yeah i had one on mine too.
Just a thought, and i dont mean to get into your business, but im personally a large fella so instead of installing my casting deck flush with to top of the boat, i had mine about 10" lower. It kept the center of gravity lower to not be so tipsy.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
Yeah i had one on mine too.

Just a thought, and i dont mean to get into your business, but im personally a large fella .

*cough* understatement *cough* 😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
*cough* understatement *cough* 😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LMAO!!!!!! Hurtful....yet hilarious! i will allow it good sir!
Well played!