FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Question Grass....

Hello everyone,

Are ya'll seeing more grass such as Milfoil in Old Hickory lake at least mid lake anyhow.

It seems I am really starting to see more deep water grass and hopefully
the dock owners won't start raising cane and get the corp to start spraying.

It would be nice if we could get more grass then have F1 hybrid Bass stocked.

Not sure why OH is never considered for Florida strain bass since it handled Tilapia.
I know they feel it is cooler waters because of highland reservoirs feeding the system but mid and even dam area would seem to me to be able to handle the temps.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:35 AM

Saw a bunch last fall in the Cages Bend area and on the Wilson County side across from Bluegrass. Very encouraging and hopefully we are beginning another cycle of good grass growth in this lake, like it used to be in the late 90’s.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:56 PM
Fishing Fool

I’ve been seeing some milfoil/hydrilla (whichever it is) starting to top out. But it’s just a stalk here and and there. But I am seeing some really good grass in the 4’ range all over the lower end. I fished Friday and Sunday mornings last week and caught a lot of fish but nothing very big. Friday I did have 3 solid fish in the 3lb range. All on top water. Sunday couldn’t buy a bite on top.

The tournament I fished Sunday had a lot of 3.5-4.5 pounders weighed in. My trolling motor kept me from doing what I wanted to do, it never worked from the time I put in to the time we took out. Did a software update on it Monday morning and it’s back up and running 🤷🏻*♂️ go figure.

Also, has anyone seen the shad spawn?? Please tell me I ain’t missed it. I had some Sunday beating on my spinnerbait but never saw the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
The tournament I fished Sunday had a lot of 3.5-4.5 pounders weighed in.
What ramp was this tournament out of?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 AM

Skillet, no Shad spawn yet. I went this morning at 0430 hoping there would be one with 70 degree water and the full moon but no such luck. Water is high and most willow grass clumps are under the surface. Should have been an on fire buzzbait bite but quite frankly for me the morning sucked. Heading out tomorrow with the same plan.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:00 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedbass View Post
What ramp was this tournament out of?

Saunders ferry.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:04 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Skillet, no Shad spawn yet. I went this morning at 0430 hoping there would be one with 70 degree water and the full moon but no such luck. Water is high and most willow grass clumps are under the surface. Should have been an on fire buzzbait bite but quite frankly for me the morning sucked. Heading out tomorrow with the same plan.

It’s been a weird year....so I guess the fish are going along with it. I swear I saw some shad a couple weeks ago getting after in a grass bed, and then Friday and Sunday last week I had them following and banging into a spinner bait. Even hooked two of them. They’re ready and wanting too. The water really needs to stabilize. It seemed like the bass spawn came and gone in a week or two also.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:11 PM
Fishing Fool

Buccaneer, you have better luck this morning?

Old 06-06-2020, 06:30 AM

Yes I did. Best fish was 3.5lbs, all caught over the top of the cane grass which was submerged due to water level. They didn’t want the buzzbait, but a switch to the Hildebrandt Snagless Salley made the difference. Also these floating mats of crap off the bank had Shad spawning on them. No Shad in the grass or on dock floats however.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:28 AM

I’m going Sunday morning 0400. I’ve seen probably 20 Moomba and other wake smasher boats on the road this morning so glad I sat Saturday out. Hopefully the full moon is up and I’ll whack them in the shore grass pre-daylight.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Fishing Fool

Glad you done better! I’m shocked about the shad spawn still. This year has sucked to be a fisherman because of all the wake boarders and cruisers. I’ve got a good drill and hole saw I’ll lend to whoever wants to slow them down!! 😂😂😂