FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Joshthebadbear Joshthebadbear is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Smyrna
Posts: 61
Default A Warning to protect .

A Warning to Protect . . .

We recently lost my wife’s dear brother who’d come to live with us for the last seven months. He died suddenly in her arms as she was feeding him his evening meal. He is a marine, a combat Viet vet assigned to escorting assault tanks. At one time he owned his own business. He died almost penniless and this is what we want to share with you so you can be vigilant with your friends and relatives.

He fell victim to what is commonly referred to as the Nigerian Money Scheme. Not sure why or how (he was a bright guy/but elderly). I gone through phones and papers to find out that he’d sent them since 2016 nearly $100,000 in money cards of various amounts. It’s tragic, they hounded his phone even past his death. I’ve spoken with a few of these ruthless bastards but they are untraceable and law enforcement local and federal really doesn’t give a damn.

Please watch out for unusual business or banking activity, frequent phone calls from all over the country etc. Anyone needing more information about this scam feel free to private message me or drop me a note at Mjvinesauthor@gmail.com . So I don't take up to much space on the board. We never thought it could happen to one of ours.

Thanks guys/gals just wanted to share.
m.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshthebadbear View Post
A Warning to Protect . . .

We recently lost my wife’s dear brother who’d come to live with us for the last seven months. He died suddenly in her arms as she was feeding him his evening meal. He is a marine, a combat Viet vet assigned to escorting assault tanks. At one time he owned his own business. He died almost penniless and this is what we want to share with you so you can be vigilant with your friends and relatives.

He fell victim to what is commonly referred to as the Nigerian Money Scheme. Not sure why or how (he was a bright guy/but elderly). I gone through phones and papers to find out that he’d sent them since 2016 nearly $100,000 in money cards of various amounts. It’s tragic, they hounded his phone even past his death. I’ve spoken with a few of these ruthless bastards but they are untraceable and law enforcement local and federal really doesn’t give a damn.

Please watch out for unusual business or banking activity, frequent phone calls from all over the country etc. Anyone needing more information about this scam feel free to private message me or drop me a note at Mjvinesauthor@gmail.com . So I don't take up to much space on the board. We never thought it could happen to one of ours.

Thanks guys/gals just wanted to share.
m.
I'm sorry for your family's loss Mike. It's gotten to the point with scammers that if I don't recognize the number then I don't even answer the phone.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 PM
SalmonDaze SalmonDaze is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Posts: 260
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I'm sorry for your family's loss Mike. It's gotten to the point with scammers that if I don't recognize the number then I don't even answer the phone.
I've programmed my phone to ignore all calls from numbers not saved to my contacts. Yep, it can be a pain; but well-worth the idiocy of thieves.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Schleprock's Avatar
Schleprock Schleprock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Crossville
Posts: 285
Default

So sorry to hear about your loss and so sad that scammers were able to cheat him of his money

Beware of this scam, a while back I received a call saying they were BBT bank and said someone was trying to withdrawel $2000 at an ATM in Fla, I explained that I was in Tennessee so the guy asked me to give him my card number to verify it was me , I told him no that he didn't need my card number to verify, he then said look on the back of my card and I will see the number he is calling from is the number of the bank and it was, I then told him I would call them right back , he said no that I had to give him my card number now or he was going to let the transaction go through , I knew at that moment it was a scam, I immediately hung up and called my bank and they said that scam has been very effective because they are spoofing numbers making them appear as any number they want

Glad they called me and not my wife because she would have bit hook line and sinker lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Halli's Avatar
Halli Halli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 810
Default

Truly Sorry for your loss.


I keep getting Netfilx e-mails that look totally legit but it says
I need to update my credit card or I will be permanently banned.

It has Netflix header and all but the link is really fishy

no-reply@netflix.subscriptions.euromexservice.con


It has a Mexican address it appears.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:38 PM
tkwalker's Avatar
tkwalker tkwalker is offline
Owner and Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lebanon, Tennessee
Posts: 2,672
Default Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Truly Sorry for your loss.


I keep getting Netfilx e-mails that look totally legit but it says
I need to update my credit card or I will be permanently banned.

It has Netflix header and all but the link is really fishy

no-reply@netflix.subscriptions.euromexservice.con


It has a Mexican address it appears.
Hacker, anytime you look in "Details" and see a foreign country or college or anything unrelated I delete it ... Anytime when they ask for updates and info ... Delete it .... TK
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:01 PM
skillet's Avatar
skillet skillet is offline
Fishing Fool
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rivergate area
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Truly Sorry for your loss.


I keep getting Netfilx e-mails that look totally legit but it says
I need to update my credit card or I will be permanently banned.

It has Netflix header and all but the link is really fishy

no-reply@netflix.subscriptions.euromexservice.con


It has a Mexican address it appears.


The only time you need to update is if you change banks or card number. Also, no company in their right mind would permanently ban a paying customer unless they were doing something that cost them money.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Site best viewed at 1280X1024
© FishingTN.com