FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Default Woods res pulling cranks

Wife and I took our two grandsons (4 yrs and 8 yrs) to Woods to avoid the 4th insanity on the water on JJP or OH. We started around 7:30 pulling 300's in 18 fow at 1.6 mph. We caught 8 nice crappie, about 50 to 75 "SS fish" (stupid stripe) as nicknamed by the boys. The highlight of the day was a LM that was 22" long and weighed 6.2 lbs. It was caught on a red craw Pico crank and a 12 foot B&M pro staff trolling pole. The oldest grandson got the pole (it was his turn) and I could tell he had something big but I was thinking a good size hybrid or catfish. About half way in Easton kept saying "Pa Pa I don't think I can get him in" I encouraged him with "come on buddy you got this" All in the boat were focused on him when about 20 feet off the back of the boat (this all started about 100 feet back) the bass came up shaking his head. I think all of us were mouth open. Encouragement changed at this point to " keep the rod tip up, slow and steady, you got this, easy easy" this was real now! We hopped into gear Audrey got the net and I focused on helping Easton get it to the net (a crappie net). The last few feet the LM made a run and a couple head out of the water shaking. Finally we got his head in the net and into the boat he came. We all gave high fives and were acting like idiots. I'm not a LM fisherman but this was the largest bass I've ever put in the boat. The experience will last a life time for all of us, glad we didn't stay out of the heat this day. The fish is going to be mounted probably a Christmas present. On the down side, Easton and I have been crappie fishing the last couple years, now he wants to know when can we go fishing for "big mouth bass" again, this is going to hurt the old wallet for sure...

Have a great day,

Ray
Old 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM

I love it. Great story and yes that young man is ruined. Maybe you can get him hooked up with a big cat and he will forget about that big ole bass. If not you are correct. That wallet is going to be a lot lighter. Lol
Old 07-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yes in Deed ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwielen65 View Post
Wife and I took our two grandsons (4 yrs and 8 yrs) to Woods to avoid the 4th insanity on the water on JJP or OH. We started around 7:30 pulling 300's in 18 fow at 1.6 mph. We caught 8 nice crappie, about 50 to 75 "SS fish" (stupid stripe) as nicknamed by the boys. The highlight of the day was a LM that was 22" long and weighed 6.2 lbs. It was caught on a red craw Pico crank and a 12 foot B&M pro staff trolling pole. The oldest grandson got the pole (it was his turn) and I could tell he had something big but I was thinking a good size hybrid or catfish. About half way in Easton kept saying "Pa Pa I don't think I can get him in" I encouraged him with "come on buddy you got this" All in the boat were focused on him when about 20 feet off the back of the boat (this all started about 100 feet back) the bass came up shaking his head. I think all of us were mouth open. Encouragement changed at this point to " keep the rod tip up, slow and steady, you got this, easy easy" this was real now! We hopped into gear Audrey got the net and I focused on helping Easton get it to the net (a crappie net). The last few feet the LM made a run and a couple head out of the water shaking. Finally we got his head in the net and into the boat he came. We all gave high fives and were acting like idiots. I'm not a LM fisherman but this was the largest bass I've ever put in the boat. The experience will last a life time for all of us, glad we didn't stay out of the heat this day. The fish is going to be mounted probably a Christmas present. On the down side, Easton and I have been crappie fishing the last couple years, now he wants to know when can we go fishing for "big mouth bass" again, this is going to hurt the old wallet for sure...

Have a great day,

Ray
That is what memories are all about !! ... <'TK><
Old 07-06-2018, 01:28 PM

great job and even better story!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:44 PM

Great story.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 PM

Great story and memories! I bet if he catches a few more then there might be a new boat purchase in grandpa's future.