FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-04-2020, 09:38 AM

Default How is Priest for Bass in June?

I recently started fishing from a kayak again, after years of switching to wading/fly fishing.

How has Priest been fishing? Are the bass still close the shore or are they moving deeper now?

I'm most fly fishing with a sinking line. Have not been catching any bass though. On Old Hickory I've caught several drum. They are ugly but put up a great fight.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Always Learning

I hear ya on the drum fight. That's a tough one to beat. I always think PB for bass is on the line at first, but then they start that dig and I know it's a drum. Lately, Priest has been a roll of the dice for me. Tight to the bank some days, then complete opposite next. During the recent shad spawn, hammered 'em in the mornings shallow then mid day having to search a little harder for 'em. Look at a map and find a couple of spots where it is a quick stair step drop to deeper water or channel swing and give that a try. I have been marking lots of bait doing this and have already started catching some of them in their full on summer pattern...Deep. With a fly rod, I would get a nice shad/shiner (white) streamer pattern and focus on points and humps casting across them and starting shallow and moving deeper with your retrieves. May even do well paralleling bluffs and walls with it. For a polar opposite...I have done well with a topwater popping bug on Priest as well, kinda doing the same thing...points and humps. Best early or late in the day for me with topwater.
Kind of a ramble, but I hope it helps in some way.
Good luck.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Marshall View Post
I recently started fishing from a kayak again, after years of switching to wading/fly fishing.

How has Priest been fishing? Are the bass still close the shore or are they moving deeper now?

I'm most fly fishing with a sinking line. Have not been catching any bass though. On Old Hickory I've caught several drum. They are ugly but put up a great fight.

I went out for my first time in years on priest last weekend and immediately started catching them on poppers. It’s a small window with the top water bite though. After the sun came up that died and we switched to slower presentations, Texas rigs and shakey heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk