FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Dakota S

Default Black Lights

I'm thinking of adding a simple solution for black lights. Something like the adhesive strips or something portable with the suction cups I can clip on my extra battery. For the guys that have this whats a good product for this solution under 100.00? Thanks in advance. Dakota
Old 07-12-2018, 11:02 PM
ALANRAYG2

I use to fish Priest a lot in summer with black lights. The ones I used had a white light to illuminate the boat and the black light over the water. My lights had suction cups and worked great. I used a fluorescent line too.
The suction cups worked great on a smooth surface. Hope this helps you some. Alan
Old 07-13-2018, 07:07 AM
Always Learning

I found some super bright LEDs online and they came in strips of 30" each. I just cut the rubber from my rub rail where I wanted them to go and cleaned the metal surface with alcohol, then used the 3M adhesive backing to attach. Drilled small holes to run the wires to a power source that I wasn't using and everything seems to be fine. I put a power switch at the console and one up front on the deck so that I can either turn them on when driving or wait till I go to drop the trolling motor. You can see the LED strip in the daytime where I cut out the rubber and it doesn't look too bad, nor did it compromise the rail. They really light up well in the dark. Also, the LEDs don't draw much current at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180618_221236 (002).jpg (772.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by culprit7.5; 07-13-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 AM

That's a good looking job Culrpit. I still have the old stan sloans that I don't use.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Always Learning

Thanks juice, I had two of those Stan Sloans that lasted forever and finally bit the dust. They were so old that I bought one of them at the old Bill Clay's sporting goods store on 8th avenue. I really like not having power cords all over the deck getting in the way of the 52 rods I seem to not be able to carry when I go out.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 AM

I may steal this idea Culprit. I don't use black lights myself and I like it that way. There's just something about fishing in total darkness that I like. It makes me fish my bait all the way back to the boat too. I suspect I get an extra bite or 2 because of this. But I take a lot of people fishing and this time of year I fish almost exclusively at night, and all my buddies in the back of the boat talk about how they wish I had black lights. I think I'm gonna put some in the back for them. I take them out so they can have a good time and if lights make them more comfortable then I guess it's not expensive and I need to put them some in the boat.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:55 PM

Will the LED lights make the line glow like the black lights?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culprit7.5 View Post
Thanks juice, I had two of those Stan Sloans that lasted forever and finally bit the dust. They were so old that I bought one of them at the old Bill Clay's sporting goods store on 8th avenue.

Bill Clay's had the best Stan Sloan merchandise I could remember...then they both died out. My Sloan Black lights died and had to replace with Hoppys
Old 07-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Always Learning

Sambolie, They are the same illumination as the black lights, just in LED form. I made sure to get the UV rated lights and the highest water resistance I could find. They make my flourescent line look like granny's knitting yarn. No real effect with my clear line or braid.The primary reason I put them on is for jig fishing at Dale Hollow at night where strikes can come as the jig falls from ledge to ledge and they hit it on the fall. It's also pretty cool when dragging a 10" worm on JPP at night as well when you feel the strike at the same time the line jumps. Also, they are bright enough that it will light the bank from about 30 feet as well. Keeps me from fishing the tree tops!

Last edited by culprit7.5; 07-13-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Always Learning

Notorious, yes Bill Clay's was the best. I remember a time when I was in there asking Jimmy Holt and Bill Hall all kinds of questions as they were both in there just talking shop. Those were really good times and I'll always remember how friendly they and the people working there were.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 PM

Culprit, appreciate the info.

I have many memories of Bill Clay's. I had a lot of times in there talking with Allen and Bobby. Too bad there are so few stores like that today.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM

I use Hoppy's with 1/4" Guitar plug.
I have one plug on each side front and rear of boat.

I bought a couple Guitar cords and soldiered my LEd Crappie lights to them so when I want to night fish for Crappie I just plug the cord into my plug and plop the unit into the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoppy's.jpg (31.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:10 PM

You can get these on eBay. You can run these all the way down your boat. The 5050 leds are plenty bright. You can also cut to length in 3 led intervals if you want shorter ( requires soldering). If you use the whole strip, you will need to power from both ends of strip. If you don’t, one end will be bright and it will get dim at the other end.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale16ft...from=R40&rt=nc
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM

An in expensive alternative is a cheap metal clip on mechanic light with a LED UV (UV not black) screw in bulb, I have an inverter I use to plug it in, puts out plenty of UV light that will light up fluorescent line better than a black light

One bad thing about UV lights is it will attract every bug in a 10 mile radius lol
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM

I spent a lot of money at Bill Clay's. Still have a boron fly rod I use on occasion.