FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-28-2019, 08:02 PM

Default Another good day at Old Hickory

I had a couple hours before dark on Monday and gave the hick another shot since I live so close and was short on time. I launched out of Bledsoe and threw a frog around in there for about an hour and caught 4 on the frog with a couple 2 pounders. I was running up the river and decided to stop and throw a spinnerbait on some bluff walls for a bit. I've always been able to catch a bunch of spotted bass this time of year up in the river on a big spinnerbait so I figured I would give it a shot. The bluffs were loaded with spots. Over the course of about an hour and a half I caught 27 spots. Most were your typical 8-12 inch OH spots but I did catch 3 over 15 inches. I typically fish my spinnerbait just deep enough to where I can barely see the flash from my blades.

If your struggling to get bit on OH and don't really care about size then you may wanna give this a shot. I had a blast catching those little suckers. Not all bluffs are created equal. I'm not looking for a bluff that's too shallow or too deep. I like my boat sitting in 10-15 fow right against the bluff. But I think the most important key to this bite is to fish the bluffs that are crooked so to speak. I want as many little points, nooks, and crannies as I can get. The straight line deep bluffs are typically no good. Those fish suspend anywhere they can out of the current and you can pretty much call your shot with the right bluff. Unfortunately it's not really a good way to fish if you have someone in the back of the boat because there isn't much for them to do. I get my boat as close to the bluff as I can and just parallel it. It's also hard to have 2 guys in the front because each bite is such a specific cast. Also, remember to always fish into the current and always have a big top water walking bait or swimbait ready to go. Stripers love pushing bait up against the bluffs this time of year to and they could start schooling around you at any time.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 08-28-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:10 PM

One of my favorites up here as well. I like to reel my spinnerbaits back fast enough to make a wake with the blades. Talk about pissing them off haha. Bluffs where the river bends and the current speeds up a little are also good ones to try.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehick176 View Post
One of my favorites up here as well. I like to reel my spinnerbaits back fast enough to make a wake with the blades. Talk about pissing them off haha. Bluffs where the river bends and the current speeds up a little are also good ones to try.
If I can't get them to bite it the way I like then I'll do the same thing burning it on top. But usually if they start biting it that way I'll switch to a buzzbait. Back when I fished OH a lot I would do this all the time if I couldn't catch them any other way. Every now and then I would catch a big largemouth or smallmouth doing it. It sure is a lot of fun!
Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 AM

good report, sounds like a great day!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 AM

At least somebody did well! Don't go near Avondale!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the report, sounds like a great afternoon.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:41 AM
Fishing Fool

Old hick has been on fire this summer. A lot of big fish have been caught, big bags of bass. It’s been consistently taking 10-12lbs to win our little 3 fish tournaments on sundays. For old hick that’s pretty good. The water temps never got stupid high, the grass is coming back, consistent current, now if the water level could stay consistent it’d be even better. But can’t have it perfect all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk