FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 09-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Dakota S

Default Steak plant barrier

I heard the barrier was down at the steam plant? Has anyone been out there to confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Dakota S

Maybe steak but how about Steam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 11:13 AM

I'm not sure haven't herd anything about it, but if true I hope they keep it down this winter... I'm getting tired of sitting at the barrier watching stripers blow up out of casting distance.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:24 AM

I've heard the fishing was actually better when the barrier was out further away from the steam plant as it provided a safe haven for the stripers where boats couldn't get to.

Any truth to that?
Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 PM

That makes sense to me. I would think the more boats jammed in there the more the fish would scatter
Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hawk View Post
I've heard the fishing was actually better when the barrier was out further away from the steam plant as it provided a safe haven for the stripers where boats couldn't get to.

Any truth to that?
I spent quite a few days over a months time at the new barrier 2 winters ago. In a couple short weeks I caught 3 over 25lbs on artificial lures. Most of the guys I saw were throwing top water, swimbaits, and A rigs. They were catching them but I never saw anyone catch any big ones. I caught some 10-20 lbers on those same baits, but my biggest fish all came on a 6xd or 8xd. I never saw another boat throwing a big crankbait. I think that's why I was able to catch a few good ones bc I was throwing something different. Those fish are highly pressured. Something that was digging hard and bouncing off the bottom seemed to make a difference. I only went 2x last winter bc the bass bite was good on JPP and Center Hill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0580.JPG (240.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Between the striper, tilapia, and bass fishermen that channel gets a TON of traffic. I had a couple really good years of fishing with the barrier at the mouth of the channel but struggled last year. I didn’t get to make as many trips so maybe I was just there on the wrong days but I have a feeling there is a correlation between the boat traffic and the big stripers. I’ve also heard plenty of stories about people wearing them out for years up there when you could Bank fish and boat all the way up to the boils. No telling but one thing is for sure...Won’t know if you don’t go.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:11 PM

I would love to find this Steak Plant, going to grow them exclusively in my garden...

Texas Rig...I watched you catch that one from the TVA side. I was the Bozo in the buggy with the caution light at the fence you showed it to and I had the crane operator blow the horn.

Key to the Steak Plant is the nastiest cold weather you can stand before and just after daylight...after that just fish for Talipia from the TWRA intake up to the barrier and go home.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I would love to find this Steak Plant, going to grow them exclusively in my garden...

Texas Rig...I watched you catch that one from the TVA side. I was the Bozo in the buggy with the caution light at the fence you showed it to and I had the crane operator blow the horn.

Key to the Steak Plant is the nastiest cold weather you can stand before and just after daylight...after that just fish for Talipia from the TWRA intake up to the barrier and go home.
That's my most memorable fish catch ever! I was soo fortunate to catch that fish. I was using my bass cranking setup so I only had 12lb line. That fish swam under the barrier and 50 yards behind the boat. There was nothing I could do but hold on and let it take drag. After about 15 minutes, I had came up with a plan to put my rod under the barrier so my friend could grab it. As I was doing that the fish just swam back to the barrier and I was able to land it. Unforgettable experience!