FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-18-2021, 09:16 PM

Default Normandy Crappie

Gentlemen, it's been awhile since I've posted any type of fishing report but today ends that streak. I have been trying to get over my absolute disgust with Normandy over the last month or so. I've fished it for bass about a month ago and caught a few but nothing great. Two weeks ago I showed up thinking I would have the lake to my self only to find out a high school bass tournament was going on. That day I crappie fished and caught 7 nice keepers. There were so many boats on that tiny lake I could not really even look for more fish.

That brings me to Today. I went out in search of crappie and found them. First stop I had my limit and then some. I probably could have had 25 keepers off the first spot. I ended up handing it off to another boat that was crappie fishing so he could put some in the live well. I decided to go off looking for some new spots and found fish. I did not really fish much after the first spot but I bet I could have had even more keepers if I wanted too. I will say I noticed that as the day went on the bite slowed and the fish actually moved a little deeper. I think I may have to change my mind on that lake after the last couple trips. The size of crappie is impressive. I think I may have caught two short fish today and none last trip.

If anyone is thinking of going the bait is still in the back of the major creeks and fish are stacked back there feeding up. I found a lot fish out in the main lake too hanging around brush and rock. Fish fry tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Limit.jpg (799.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Crappie.jpg (311.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Small.jpg (354.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-19-2021, 11:23 AM

What time should I arrive for the fish fry?

Nice report and nice catch.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:38 PM

I hope to get over there for some crappie fishing. I have heard of some decent reports. I was there a couple days before Bass Nation HS and JRs fished. I couldn't believe all the fish attractors in the lake. They were everywhere.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 54 View Post
I hope to get over there for some crappie fishing. I have heard of some decent reports. I was there a couple days before Bass Nation HS and JRs fished. I couldn't believe all the fish attractors in the lake. They were everywhere.

Wait till you find out about all the standing timber. I found some trees just loaded with fish.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
What time should I arrive for the fish fry?

Nice report and nice catch.

We had one Sunday, you missed out.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:34 AM

I’m going to need some exact locations to verify your findings. I promise I won’t catch any. 😎
Old 12-27-2021, 10:32 AM

I wouldn't mind a couple of coordinates myself haha. Never been on the lake, Thanks for posting.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:40 PM

Sent to those that asked, good luck!
Old 12-28-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
Sent to those that asked, good luck!
Are you sure about the coordinates that you sent me. I am currently sitting right on them and all I see is the Empire State Building. Can't see any crappie in the fountain out front.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Are you sure about the coordinates that you sent me. I am currently sitting right on them and all I see is the Empire State Building. Can't see any crappie in the fountain out front.

Yours may be off a little, depends on how much Vodka I had consumed at that point.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:40 PM

A couple friends and myself made it to Normandy yesterday. We got a late start about 8:30. We tried a couple trees with a couple bumps on a 1/32 jig. Pulled off the lake about 4pm. We had one spot @ 15 inches and 9 crappie. 2@ 12 inches 1@ 16-1/4 at 2lbs 11oz. The other 6 were in between these. I hope to get back over there soon. I have a couple grandsons that want to go with me. So on their spring break at school I'll get them out on the lake. I hope to get my travel trailer in Barton Springs and my boat. Perhaps we'll stay 4 or 5 days. That is if the boys can handle it. I would love to get them on a good bite.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:04 AM

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:41 AM

Sounds like a fun trip Alan. That one crappie is yuge. I need to do a better job of weighing my fish in general. One thing I have noticed on Normandy from my trips is that the bite I have had dies around noon. I may catch one or two after that but it's tough going.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
Sounds like a fun trip Alan. That one crappie is yuge. I need to do a better job of weighing my fish in general. One thing I have noticed on Normandy from my trips is that the bite I have had dies around noon. I may catch one or two after that but it's tough going.
I found that out on this trip. The bite was early....before I was there. It died around 11am then started to pick up about one hour before dark. Met a guy there and he said before daylight to 11 is best then again right before dark. I wish I lived closer. I would like to learn the winter walleye bite in the lake. Those crappie are nice in the lake. Didn't catch many shorts though.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 54 View Post
I found that out on this trip. The bite was early....before I was there. It died around 11am then started to pick up about one hour before dark. Met a guy there and he said before daylight to 11 is best then again right before dark. I wish I lived closer. I would like to learn the winter walleye bite in the lake. Those crappie are nice in the lake. Didn't catch many shorts though.

The walleye bite is what I will spend some time on next trip. I spent a few months trolling for them years ago and caught a couple keepers but it was tough. I think it is definitely a morning bite lake. Like you a ran into a guy about a month and a half ago that was leaving around 9 and he said he loaded the boat early. I caught 7 keepers that day over a few hours. from last trip to the previous I have caught one short crappie the next smallest was 11", it's impressive.