FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default Almost got killed this morning

Let this be a word of warning to all my boating and yakker friends out there.

Today, while fishing on JPP, we were trolling (.9 MPH) for crappie in my 18' 6" highly visible bass boat when another boater came running at us head on. He had high back bucket seats on his boat that he couldn't see through, over or around. He was probably running 20 MPH and his hull (big, wide aluminum boat) was riding high like he was just taking off.

He didn't see us. I was using a trolling motor so couldn't avoid him, a collision was imminent and I had an 8 year old boy and his 43 year old father on board.

I picked up my air horn and blasted it for about 5-6 seconds before the other boater realized we were there and he jerked his wheel to the right and missed us by about 10 ft. He cut across my side planers, cutting one of them off.

He had the courtesy to circle around, pick up my planer, bring it back to me and apologize, telling me he never saw us. And I knew this to be fact because I couldn't see him or his passengers, just the underside of his boat.

And now the kicker....I have had that air horn in the storage compartment beneath my drivers seat for....2 years. And last night I took it out and set it beside the drivers seat. Call it what you will, but if I hadn't had that air horn, I seriously doubt I'd be typing this note tonight.

You can rest assured that I will always have one handy for the rest of my fishing days. Actually I'll have two, one stationed up front for when I am at the trolling motor and one beside my driver's seat for when I am at the wheel.

Fellas it happened so fast there was no time to react to avoid it. Please think safety when you are on the water. Yakkers remember you have a small, short profile. A person running 60 MPH may have watery eyes from the wind and not see you. Have a way to warn them. Me, I'd have a flare gun sitting in my lap. Splashing a round off their windshield will get their attention.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 PM

Thanks for sharing…glad you were protected this morning…I'm sure we can all use a reminder of how careful we have to be.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 PM

So thankful you and your love ones are okay and safe.I would still be shaking from such a close call.
Why was the other boat riding so high like that?
Stay safe and happy fishing
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Fishing TN Staff

I'm glad you and your passengers are ok. This shows no matter how big you are the other person may not see you for whatever the reason. Please everyone be careful out there, and practice safe boating habits.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Owner and Administrator

Thumbs up Indeed !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
I'm glad you and your passengers are ok. This shows no matter how big you are the other person may not see you for whatever the reason. Please everyone be careful out there, and practice safe boating habits.
In fact I am going to replace my Blaster tomorrow !! They are old ... and also get a couple of more flare guns !!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM

Good post. Have had a couple of close calls on JPP this spring too, although nothing that close.

Think I'll get one of those blasters myself and keep it nearby.

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by JeffsLowe; 04-18-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Thank God that collision didn't occur. That is one of my fears being on big water with the kayak. I guess I need to get an air horn....a whistle just might not cut it. Thanks for posting.

Regards
Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Merv, I am a believer in things happening for a reason. You were spared from a tragedy so that you can pay it forward by passing the word to others on safety preparedness.
Thank God that you and your passengers were not harmed.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks for posting. Always looking for ways to be safer on the water.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:10 AM

Glad you are safe sir. I know I will listen to your words. I don't have an air horn on my boat but I will get one before I go out next. And you guys that fish in a kayak on a lake, listen to Merv. I know when I am flying down the lake my eyes start watering and I have a hard time seeing sometimes. I would rather have a flare splash off my boat or the water than me running someone over.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Glad to hear you and everyone are all ok. The use of an air horn and/or flare gun are excellent ideas. On Priest I've have seen a few kayaks which have a tall orange flag attached to the back, to improve visibility.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 AM
rookie

Gosh Merv!, I'm glad you and your passengers are OK and this turned out to be just a scary moment and a lesson in safety for the rest of us, you can't always be ready as there are too many yahoos and distracted boaters running loose on the lakes and it is up to us to make sure we don't become a statistic, thanks for sharing this important lesson, this is always been one of my fears like Randy said when I take the yak to the lake, my Riverhawk is not that big either so if I hear or see any boat coming my way I make sure I stand up and take evasive action right away, you can never assume that the other boater has seen you, I do not have an air horn or a flare gun but like the Juice said I will not hit the water anymore without them and keep them handy, so we get to see your mug a few more times with those nice and heavy stringers full of Crappies!!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM

I think I may buy a flare gun and/or air horn just in case. It's better to have them and not need them than the other way around. Glad you're ok Merv!

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 04-18-2014, 09:43 AM

I am getting a horn today. Glad you didn't get smashed.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:26 PM

I carry an air horn on the kayak. I like the idea of bouncing a flare off something, just to show displeasure if nothing else.