FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Failed Striper Search Mission

First post! New to the area, so decided to try a search mission last night to find some stripers. Grabbed a few gizzards and launched out of Station Camp. Trolled along in there between 15-30' of water but never marked anything worth stopping for. Tried a few islands and bends out in the main channel down to Cages Bend ramp but never marked anything there either. Might try more down towards the dam next time. Did mark this cool submerged bridge though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5874.JPG (97.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5875.JPG (142.5 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by ryanbass16; 08-01-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM

What you marked is the old Lock 4, hence the name Let us know how your search goes toward the Dam. The Stripers haven't been in the Station Camp area for several weeks now unfortunately.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:49 AM

Try looking between barton creek and the next creek, forgot the name. Look around the red channel marker, use to find them there in August and September. llok where the gas lines go under
Old 08-03-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
What you marked is the old Lock 4, hence the name Let us know how your search goes toward the Dam. The Stripers haven't been in the Station Camp area for several weeks now unfortunately.
Thanks for the info Adrian! That makes sense. Didn't really think about the name of the area there. When you say they haven't been in that area, does that mean they went towards the dam or further upstream? I am still trying to figure out the migration pattern here... I am used to fishing over on Norris and typically they migrate towards the dam in the warmer months, but wasn't sure if the same happened here. I would assume yes, but since I have yet to find any I have no way to know.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintail07 View Post
Try looking between barton creek and the next creek, forgot the name. Look around the red channel marker, use to find them there in August and September. look where the gas lines go under
Thanks! Looks like you probably mean Spring Creek, but maybe Bledsoe if your talking the other way. Will check it out.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbass16 View Post
Thanks for the info Adrian! That makes sense. Didn't really think about the name of the area there. When you say they haven't been in that area, does that mean they went towards the dam or further upstream? I am still trying to figure out the migration pattern here... I am used to fishing over on Norris and typically they migrate towards the dam in the warmer months, but wasn't sure if the same happened here. I would assume yes, but since I have yet to find any I have no way to know.
If they're not pulling water you're not likely to find them Anywhere. It hasn't been my experience that they move toward the dam in the summer if we haven't had any rain, but if there's current, you can find them from 231 Bridge all the way to Drakes Creek. There are a lot of BIG stripers in Old Hickory and the next 90 days should be red hot if we can get some water moving.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
If they're not pulling water you're not likely to find them Anywhere. It hasn't been my experience that they move toward the dam in the summer if we haven't had any rain, but if there's current, you can find them from 231 Bridge all the way to Drakes Creek. There are a lot of BIG stripers in Old Hickory and the next 90 days should be red hot if we can get some water moving.
Awesome, thanks! Just curious, how much water pull does it take to generate a current? If I am reading the TVA app correctly they have been moving up to about 20,000 cfs out of the old hickory dam. That seems like a good amount, but maybe not...
Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Yes, between Spring and Barton. The red buoy going upstream on the Lebanon side. It has been a few years ago but we use to really slay them. Some huge stripers there. The big ones seem to run toward the channel and often we couldn't ever turn them.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbass16 View Post
Awesome, thanks! Just curious, how much water pull does it take to generate a current? If I am reading the TVA app correctly they have been moving up to about 20,000 cfs out of the old hickory dam. That seems like a good amount, but maybe not...
They tend to open 2 or more generators prior to predicted rain, however, it's spotty. For the last 2 weeks there doesn't seem to be more than 2 days in a row where they are pulling. My 2 oz sinker goes straight to the bottom and stays there. When conditions are prime it seems my line is always trying to escape heading toward the dam. I've noticed that I do best when the wind is out of the Southwest 5-10 and they are discharging 20,000 cfs or more for several days in a row, at least downstream where I live. Been considering looking around Belotes Bar to see if there's any water moving swiftly across those rocks. It should be just a matter of time before they show up in that area.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Cats or Rocks jumping this morning in channel around bluffs

had maybe 10 or so big ones break the surface in 30+'.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Cats or Rocks jumping this morning in channel around bluffs

had maybe 10 or so big ones break the surface in 30+'.
You talking about down by Barton's Creek? Last time I was out there it was Asian Carp Central. I put the GoPro on the front of the boat so I could capture what was breaking the surface. Stupid Asian Carp coming up and making huge belly flop splashes everywhere! What a nuisance!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
You talking about down by Barton's Creek? Last time I was out there it was Asian Carp Central. I put the GoPro on the front of the boat so I could capture what was breaking the surface. Stupid Asian Carp coming up and making huge belly flop splashes everywhere! What a nuisance!
Probably more buffalo carp that Asian bigheads. Big buffalo carp will do that, surface and splash, see it on Old Hick and Priest all the time. I don't think they have invaded the Cumberland just yet.
Probably in a few years though.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:32 AM

Maybe, but this sure looks like an Silver Carp to me...

They've been spotting them on OH as far back as 2013. I've been seeing the same fish as in the article, but much bigger. They look like 20+" Tarpon.

http://wkrn.com/2013/09/16/twra-warns-of-asian-carp/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 1.24.09 AM.jpg (51.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Adrian; 08-06-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:45 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Dang, I hate to hear that.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Exclamation

I was around the FOP to Langford area.

I don't think it was Asian.

The fish I heard have the same massive splash I have heard for decades while fishing and is just a single big fish chasing something to the surface usually in the main channel.

Could be Buffalo as I did not know they jumped.