FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Dakota S

Default Anyone been to the Caney?

Last weekend and now this weekend I didn't see that they were generating very much. I was curious on water level and any reports? Was thinking of heading there in the morning.

Or trolling on JPP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Dakota S

Well I went later this morning for about 3 hours. It was slow only caught 5 rainbow not much size to them. Caught them on small spoons and small swim baits. No takers on the trout magnet did have a few swipes at small jerk baits. Water definitely is lower which obviously makes for slower fishing. Still good to get out.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:30 PM
lupan

Default Caney 08/27

Algae bloom.
Water warm.
Many yellow bass and a channel cat!
Biggest brown was 16". Only two bows. Probably 25 browns.
Walleye and stripers too though small.

The most alarming was warm water. Need some more pulses of cool release.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupanfreitag View Post
Algae bloom.

Water warm.

Many yellow bass and a channel cat!

Biggest brown was 16". Only two bows. Probably 25 browns.

Walleye and stripers too though small.

The most alarming was warm water. Need some more pulses of cool release.

Yes I was very surprised of the warm water too. I know for a fact I have never felt the water that warm.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM
TN Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yes I was very surprised of the warm water too. I know for a fact I have never felt the water that warm.

I noticed the same thing this weekend but I was down toward Betty's. Strange considering they're still running the constant 250 out of the sluice

Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 AM

I was fly fishing on the Caney yesterday and it was TOUGH.

The day before I was chatting with an employee at Jones Fly Co in East Nashville. He advised me to fish above Happy Hollow as he believed there weren't many trout further down at this time (due to stripers moving up as well as the warm water).

I started at the stairs and couldn't get a bite. I did manage to catch a small brown by accident on a red midge (he slammed it while I was reeling in to move to another spot). The water was on the green side and plenty cold.

I fished several spots down past the stairs with only a few taps to show for it. I chatted with some folks who had caught a a handful of small trout. Nobody was slaying them (save for one guy who claimed to have caught 30 on a crankbait).

Honestly, I hardly even saw any trout in the water! There were plenty of shad schools, suckers, and yellow bass. I finally did manage one decent brown on an olive wooly bugger. By that time I was pretty far down and the dam was set to turn on. On my way back I passed a family that had caught several modest rainbows on worms.

I drove to Happy for a final hour of fishing. I saw only one fish the entire time. I did get a few light taps on my wooly bugger.

All in all this has been a humbling summer for me on the Caney. Early on it was pretty solid but I feel like the fish are not there in the same numbers I'm accustomed to seeing. I wonder if they aren't congregating somewhere further away from the typical high pressure areas (or maybe they're all right below the dam where the water is cool).

Would love to try again tomorrow but I see there's a flash flood watch. Trying to convince myself it should be ok to fish for a few hours.