FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 08-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Default JPP Crappies 8-20-17

Hit JPP at sunrise yesterday to do some trolling. Bait all over the place. Got 2 2 keepers trolling. Seen a few different schools of fish busting bait on the surface but never got close enough for a cast.
Fished my usual summer haunts, marked a ton of fish, but even more bait fish. the brush i fish is from 15' down to 18'. and there were fish there, just couldnt get a sniff.
Fished a larger brush pile i found in 14' and finally got on em. fishing jigs and plastics i pulled 4 keepers on 4 drops. Then i dont know what happened, i didnt get snagged in the brush, still marked some fish but a boat ran close (shocker!) and pushed me over the brush, so maybe with the high skies and calm surface my boat shadow put em down?
I know crappies can be funny once you start pulling a few from a school, but this was a big brush pile and was dotted with fish when i found it and i wouldnt think that just 4 fish would shut the school down. any way, fished around a little more, hit a few new spots...again, marked fish but no takers.
In the mix was a few small, like 8" bass and everything was spitting up little shad no bigger than 2". Its hard for 1 single mud minnow on a hook or Bobby Garland on a jig to compare to a school of millions of lively, shiny shad! LOL.
left with 8 keepers, 1 short and a few that got sore lips.
I think with the heat, sun and lack of breeze to break up the surface made things a little more difficult than normal too.
Till Next Time!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:16 PM

...should've hit the Hollow.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:15 PM

I hit it Sunday morning and had similar results. Wound up with 7 keepers trolling I believe. Not bad but not good. Still fun though.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
...should've hit the Hollow.
I wanted to man, my brother backed out friday night.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttitan27 View Post
I hit it Sunday morning and had similar results. Wound up with 7 keepers trolling I believe. Not bad but not good. Still fun though.
Ive not fished alot this year and almost not at all for crappies, but the 1-2 times i went previously i had similar results. 3-4 years ago i could get almost my limit by the time pleasure boat traffic picked up.
I guess im just too good and caught em all.
Sorry fellas! lol