FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default First 100 fish plus day 2018!

Today was my first 100 plus fish day for 2018! Woke this morning to 22 degree temperatures. I had to think a little about if I wanted to get out and fish today. My 4 weather apps all said the temp would reach high 50’s...and it did. The wind was 5-10 MPH today. I found plenty of white bass stacked seemly everywhere. They were still in the lite bite mode...just would feel a little tic...and if you did not set the hook they would blow the bait quick. Today I used my Major Craft Truzer Ajing 6’ 5” UL rod...”Hard” model. Reel was a Shimano TwinPower 2004HG spooled with 2# test SOS mono. The lure was a 1/4 ounce Fin Spin with a MidNight Blue Slab Curly. Fish were in 18-24 feet of water. Water temps were 52-53.5 range. All fish were between 12-14 inch. The females all seemed to be the 13 inch fish. Certainly not big white bass but on the UL rod with 2# test it was a great day. These fish were “Diggin”....I mean “Diggin”! I also caught and landed a drum that had to be close to the 10 pound mark maybe 15.....I just know he was big. Took me about 10 minutes to land that fish. The Truzer was bent into a U shape and the Shimano drag was screaming...but I got him to the net and yes I retied after landing him. I had some good info from fishing buddy Jaycee from the forum this morning.....this is one of the many benefits of this forum. He was in a creek which is where I was headed for but he called me and told me they had not had a good start so I decided to head for the dam. I’m not sure how John wound up for the day. The water was extremely high. Next week is supposed to be decent fishing weather so I will hit it pretty hard. When I decided to pull out today the fish counter read “125”......a great day indeed! Life is good!

Regards
Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Way to go Alpha. I know that was a blast. Can't think of a more fun way to spend the day than whites, current, and 2 lb line!! It's good to hear you are enjoying retirement. I still have about 10 more years til I can fish on the week days....without the crowds.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Sounds like a great day!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Way to put the hammer to them.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Dakota S

Congrats! That’s a fun day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Congrats! That’s a fun day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No wonder we could not find fish. They were all upstream. I would have run up there but water is too turbulent.
Oh well, next time.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
No wonder we could not find fish. They were all upstream. I would have run up there but water is too turbulent.
Oh well, next time.

They’re all over the place John. Other than that time you took me into Battle Creek for whites this is my fist year to fish for them below the dam. I don’t know if bigger fish will move in or not. If not I just stick with the 2# test and UL rod......if the bigger fish come in I will switch out to a reel spooled with 4# test and still use the UL rod. So I can’t really lose out....LOL. I would much rather make an hour 15 minute drive for 13-14 inch fish than to make the 2.5 hour drive to Pickwick for 15-16 inch fish. The Nickajack tail race really intrigues me. If I can have another summer there like last summer I will be there a lot.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk