FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 10-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Call me a tree hugger

I saw something that really has me concerned when I went fishing below the dam... In fact I never fished below this spot because of it. With the latest discussion if fishing below the dam I thought I would do a little investigating what was being dumped in the river... Yes I said dumped. At first I thought it was a broken pipe cause the discharge because of the sign on top of the hillside.

You just don't crap where you eat... so why discharge sewage in our waters ? I'm sorry but this is so wrong on so many levels.

Final picture is the culprit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-09-17 12.03.02.jpg (119.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-09-17 12.01.17.jpg (225.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-09-17 12.01.14.jpg (270.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-09-17 12.01.11.jpg (239.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2019-10-04 Google Maps.png (1.25 MB, 73 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 11:03 AM

That s the Dry Creek Metro Wastewater Treatment Facility.
https://www.nashville.gov/Water-Serv...Treatment.aspx
Old 10-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Without completing a chemical analysis including a full spectrum of organic analysis (phosphates, heavy metals, etc); there's no way to tell whether you're looking at a problem or an inert foam.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:51 PM

Apparently this discharge is not hazardous. It does create an oily looking slick about the color of diarrhea. I looked closely to see if Merv was squatted on the shore.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Dry Creek. With 1 generator we used to fish off the island there. Had to really pay attention to water rise if they kicked on another generator lol. Caught lots of sauger, walleye, smallmouth and rockfish there about 35-45 years ago. I netted my dad's PB rockfish there in 1981. Best I remember, it was 40" and 27lb 10oz.
Good times!
Old 10-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep, Don't panic !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
I saw something that really has me concerned when I went fishing below the dam... In fact I never fished below this spot because of it. With the latest discussion if fishing below the dam I thought I would do a little investigating what was being dumped in the river... Yes I said dumped. At first I thought it was a broken pipe cause the discharge because of the sign on top of the hillside.

You just don't crap where you eat... so why discharge sewage in our waters ? I'm sorry but this is so wrong on so many levels.

Final picture is the culprit
Flatline don't panic ... !!

Now would be panic time (but not then) was when I lived in Tuscaloosa, Ala. in 1962 as a teenager... Yea, yea, yea... Coach Bear Bryant's Kid was a school mate of mine and have been to his house many times ...

Question in point ... The river that runs in that neck of the woods is called the Black Warrior (yep Indian tribe)... Just so happens that there was a number of asphalt factory's that bordered and dumped there waste in to the river .. Besides Nichole's Lake (city drinking water) this was the only place that you could water ski ... After a day of skiing you had to remove the tar residue from your legs with kerosene .. Now that was pollution !!

Also the factory's had 4 gauge shot gun cannons mounted on the decks of the work boats to descale the work barges of their tar ... So Flatline keep you tree hugging panties on ... we are 100% safer now than 60 years ago ... I have lived it... TK
Old 10-05-2019, 12:37 AM
Owner and Administrator

Default Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Apparently this discharge is not hazardous. It does create an oily looking slick about the color of diarrhea. I looked closely to see if Merv was squatted on the shore.
Sambolie, you may be right!! ... Have you seen the pic's of the spread he has been posting lately, (face book) of some yummy food ... You may be on to something !!... Merv is the poooplouter !!! ... TK
Old 10-05-2019, 04:26 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Sambolie, you may be right!! ... Have you seen the pic's of the spread he has been posting lately, (face book) of some yummy food ... You may be on to something !!... Merv is the poooplouter !!! ... TK
It's fixin ta get ugly in here.......
Old 10-05-2019, 07:09 AM

There is one of those pipes that runs out from the shore to the channel on OH lake side as well. It's just below flippers. It's a community hole in the summer known as "the sh*t hole". If your down wind and the pipe is discharging, then your nose is in for a treat. It's one of the best offshore fishing spots on the whole lake
Old 10-05-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
So Flatline keep you tree hugging panties on ...

Just so we're clear on a few things...

I firmly believe you don't crap where you eat or play...

I like my trees, especially maples and I own 3 Stihl chainsaws and know how to use them...

And finally I ain't got no panties

No seriously, when I first saw this I thought there was some gas line leak cause it was bubbling and all, then you had the don't anchor pipeline sign up on the hill. It wasn't until I looked at google maps that noticed it was a sewage treatment plant discharge. I realize the govt regulates the discharge, but since when did we start believing the govt ?

Quote:
Now would be panic time (but not then) was when I lived in Tuscaloosa, Ala. in 1962 as a teenager... Yea, yea, yea... Coach Bear Bryant's Kid was a school mate of mine and have been to his house many times ...

I promise I won't hold it against you...

Quote:
Question in point ... The river that runs in that neck of the woods is called the Black Warrior (yep Indian tribe)... Just so happens that there was a number of asphalt factory's that bordered and dumped there waste in to the river .. Besides Nichole's Lake (city drinking water) this was the only place that you could water ski ... After a day of skiing you had to remove the tar residue from your legs with kerosene .. Now that was pollution !!

And people get all offended over someone going black faced 40 yrs ago

Old 10-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Sorry, I could not resist posting this old joke.

While walking through the forests a man came upon another man hugging a tree with his ear firmly against the tree. Seeing this he inquired, ?Just out of curiosity, what the heck are you doing??

?I?m listening to the music of the tree,? the other man replied.

?You gotta be kiddin? me.?

?No, would you like to give it a try??

Understandably curious, the man says, ?Well, OK??

So he wrapped his arms around the tree and pressed his ear up against it. With this the other guy, slapped a pair of handcuffs on him, took his wallet, jewelry, car keys, then stripped him naked and left.

Two hours later another nature lover strolled by, saw this guy handcuffed to the tree stark naked, and asked, ?What the hell happened to you??

He told the guy the whole terrible story about how he got there.

When he finished telling his story, the other guy shook his head in sympathy, walked around behind him, kissed him gently behind the ear and said, ?Cupcake, this just ain?t gonna be your day??
Old 10-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:

While walking through the forests a man came upon another man hugging a tree with his ear firmly against the tree. Seeing this he inquired, ?Just out of curiosity, what the heck are you doing??

So he wrapped his arms around the tree and pressed his ear up against it. With this the other guy, slapped a pair of handcuffs on him, took his wallet, jewelry, car keys, then stripped him naked and left.

Two hours later another nature lover strolled by, saw this guy handcuffed to the tree stark naked, and asked, ?What the hell happened to you??

When he finished telling his story, the other guy shook his head in sympathy, walked around behind him, kissed him gently behind the ear and said, ?Cupcake, this just ain?t gonna be your day??

Hahahahahaha
Old 10-05-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:

I'm stealing this to share with my Army buddies on Facebook......lol
Old 10-06-2019, 02:25 PM

I have always wondered how many house boats dump sewage in the lakes.
I know many never leave their slip and many do not even have a working motor.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I have always wondered how many house boats dump sewage in the lakes.
I know many never leave their slip and many do not even have a working motor.
My Dad had two Houseboats in the 70's and 80's they were fitted with Mass-orators... It was kind of a self contained Sewer system that had motors that kind of worked like a blender and that also added chemicals before dumped... I am sure this has all been updated in this day in time ... Probably Electrostatic or some type oven, burning up everything that actually turns everything to ash. When I worked for TVA we had one of these at a remote site. Now as far as today's modern houseboats, I don't know. But I am sure there is some kind of code that new manufactures have to follow ?? TK