FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Old Hickory Report Today 6/3

Got on the water at 0300 this morning, slightly foggy and 3/4 full moon. Launched at Avondale and fished the grass beds on west side of Cages Bend down to the bottom. Buzzbait in the grass hammered them. Once the sun came up I jogged over to the coves East of there and found them in the grass on points. Caught bunches of fish on the tips of grassy points all on buzzbait and popping perch hollow body frogs. Ran back to the long sand bar point (cable crossing) on the west side of Cages Bend and finished with top water baits, Devils Horse, and crushed them for an hour. Off the water by 0900 after the first jet flea sighting. Great morning, typical early June pattern.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:51 PM

Sounds like a great trip.Those fleas get out earlier and earlier. Didn't make it out this weekend. Rode a bobcat 8 hrs Saturday and it beat me to death. I envy those heavy equipment guys.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Oh by the way water temp 76 at the start, 78 when I pulled out at 0900. Could not find any Shellcracker beds in their historic locations for this time of year. No sign of willow fly hatch, did see some shad spawn activity pre-dawn around docks.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Awesome! Are you talking about the grassy areas around those couple of little islands down there at the bottom of the map? In the really shallow stuff?

I ask, because I want to try some early morning topwater since I haven't had any luck yet with that...
Old 06-03-2018, 09:09 PM

Adrian - No, the isolated shore/cane grass anywhere you find it; look for irregular features on the outer edges of the grass and in particular points that are nearest the deeper water. A depth change of only one foot can mean the difference.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:50 AM

Nice, I launched out of Cages Bend Saturday morning and had similar results on the buzzbait... I hadn't been on Old Hickory in almost 2 weeks, the grass is really starting to shoot up. Can't beat the early morning buzzbait bite!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Great report. That's my favorite way to catchem on the hick.