FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-28-2018, 01:06 AM

Default Catfishing

Where are you catfishermen ? Anyone fishing Rome bridge ?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:56 AM

Im here..kinda busy catching Cats.. Using shrimp caught 5 this past weekend sandersferry/drakes creek area..
( If you want to get away from all bass fishing post, as soon as i read bass i laugh and slick next subject they aren't worth my time and VERY Overrated fish, go to fb page southern Catfishing if you have Facebook.)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennoutdrsman View Post
Im here..kinda busy catching Cats.. Using shrimp caught 5 this past weekend sandersferry/drakes creek area..
( If you want to get away from all bass fishing post, as soon as i read bass i laugh and slick next subject they aren't worth my time and VERY Overrated fish, go to fb page southern Catfishing if you have Facebook.)
You could make better use of the shrimp by eating them.
I prefer to eat small mouth or large mouth bass. Preferably those weighing 6 lbs or more. Some days I just throw a 100 or more blue gill on the stringer to feed family and friends.

I know your kind. You prefer Redneck surf and turf. BBQ and catfish.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:58 PM

I like catfishing but I don't use shrimp either. Catches nothing but channel cats and there the worse to eat cause they are more of a scavenger, but blues and flatheads are great tablefare cause there more of a predatory fish. I only use live shad, bream or cut skipjack. I'm just not that into catching little dink catfish on shrimp and liver. Oh and I know someone's gonna come telling there story about how they caught a 30lb cat on a dang ole hotdog soaked in some kinda homemade catfish juice but I don't buy into all that. Give me 2 or three skips to cut up and I'll catch bigger and better cats than any old catfish concoction.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:48 PM

Sounds like we have a Catfish challenge in the works... Personally, I like a Fried Catfish and Shrimp dinner with a Cajun flare.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforet2002 View Post
I like catfishing but I don't use shrimp either. Catches nothing but channel cats and there the worse to eat cause they are more of a scavenger, but blues and flatheads are great tablefare cause there more of a predatory fish. I only use live shad, bream or cut skipjack. I'm just not that into catching little dink catfish on shrimp and liver. Oh and I know someone's gonna come telling there story about how they caught a 30lb cat on a dang ole hotdog soaked in some kinda homemade catfish juice but I don't buy into all that. Give me 2 or three skips to cut up and I'll catch bigger and better cats than any old catfish concoction.

Hahahahaha....hot dogs soaked in jello powder. Grape or strawberry!!! 👍🏼👍🏼 that’s my redneck concoction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Richard Simms uses chicken breast.....I don't think anyone could ever accuse him of catching small catfish.

Regards
Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 PM

A catfishes primary food source is shad. Like I said not saying chicken breast and liver don't work but I'll stick to using what catfish normally feed on. And of course I don't have to buy shad,bream or skipjack.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforet2002 View Post
A catfishes primary food source is shad. Like I said not saying chicken breast and liver don't work but I'll stick to using what catfish normally feed on. And of course I don't have to buy shad,bream or skipjack.
My primary food source is McDonalds but I'd sure rather have a ribeye if your buying. I'm just teasing. But it's crazy what you can catch catfish on. We used to run a lot of trot lines when I was a kid because that's what I loved to do. We used to get a little creative to keep the cost down on bait. We used cut shad sometimes but mostly we would go to the creek with a minnow seine and catch crayfish. But 2 of our best baits were ivory soap and motor oil. For the ivory soap we would take an old cheese cutter and cut it into 1.5 inch squares. It would dissolve in about 8 hours but worked great. For the motor oil we would wrap pantyhose around a hook and dip it in the oil and it also worked great. We were not targeting trophy sized fish but these baits worked very well for all species of catfish.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 06-02-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
My primary food source is McDonalds but I'd sure rather have a ribeye if your buying. I'm just teasing. But it's crazy what you can catch catfish on. We used to run a lot of trot lines when I was a kid because that's what I loved to do. We used to get a little creative to keep the cost down on bait. We used cut shad sometimes but mostly we would go to the creek with a minnow seine and catch crayfish. But 2 of our best baits were ivory soap and motor oil. For the ivory soap we would take an old cheese cutter and cut it into 1.5 inch squares. It would dissolve in about 8 hours but worked great. For the motor oil we would wrap pantyhose around a hook and dip it in the oil and it also worked great. We were not targeting trophy sized fish but these baits worked very well for all species of catfish.
Shad and skipjack IS the steak to a catfish.. Oh yeah, I remember as a kid my grandfather was a commercial fisherman and he used soap on his trot lines.. He used Zote soap. Again though these kinda baits typically work well for channel cats. I will say this, there is one prepared bait that I will speak for that works well and thats Secret 7 by Team Catfish.