FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
I wouldn't attempt to load that much on a pontoon.
That's what I was thinking, Don't think may canoes for that type of thing
Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't attempt to load that much on a pontoon.
It was a load. There was over 60lbs in the black box easily. On they way back I was tired and lazy so I strapped everything behind the crate on top of the hatch in the front. The back end was raised out of the water so much it felt like I was paddling along in the gondolas of Paris.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Holy smokes that's a lot of gear. I know you weigh a lot less than me, but I think you may have exceeded your maximum capacity
Old 11-27-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
It was a load. There was over 60lbs in the black box easily. On they way back I was tired and lazy so I strapped everything behind the crate on top of the hatch in the front. The back end was raised out of the water so much it felt like I was paddling along in the gondolas of Paris.
Maybe you need a two person kayak.

I may buy a two man so Merv and I can fish together. Merv could keep the yak under control while I fish. What a way to bond a friendship.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
Holy smokes that's a lot of gear. I know you weigh a lot less than me, but I think you may have exceeded your maximum capacity
300 lbs capacity. I accounted for 165 of it.

The boat was tippy on paddled strokes but never to a point i thought i was in any danger.

Last edited by Travis C.; 11-27-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Yeah, with me in that thing I would have been able to take 1 Barbie pole, a pack of soft plastics, and a sleeping bag.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
The Coosa was my second kayak. I used the Ride 115 on an 11 day trip to Louisiana, Texas, and back around Tennessee, and have currently been in the Ride 135 since that trip.

I have taken the Ride 135 down 2 class 3's, it was hairy, but doable. Most of the guys in river kayaks took the safe routes and went around, I just shot them. The roughest part was the 3' wall of water that hit me in the chest, nearly knocked the wind out of me, and the entire cockpit filled with water and made the boat every tippy for a few seconds until the water drained out the scupper holes. I feel that the Ride 135 would suit me on overnight trips with gear if needed but a hybrid style like an Ultimate, or Commander would be better suited.

The Ride 115 is a great boat, but lack of tankwell, and speed is an issue for me. I know you're probably thinking why are you concerned with speed in a kayak? Well I like paddling efficient kayaks, where I can cover as much water as possible in a small amount of time. Paddling the Ride 115 more than a mile and a half or two consistently without a break was exhausting. Like said earlier the tankwell is small, but adequate for most. Not me, I fill the tankwell of the Ride 135 up and sometimes feel like I need more room.

The Coosa, the tankwell is small, smaller than the Ride 115 tankwell, it's tippy "the only kayak I have ever fell out of". It's slow, I know it's not meant to be a fast kayak, but I like speed relative to kayak. If you are on any pond or lake and have any sort of wind you are spinning, unless you tie a piece of rope to the rear and let it drag in the water. I think I got that tip from Bfish.
Thanks MidTN, this was a VERY helpful post for me!!
The more research I do, the more I like the 'barge" style yaks.
The only major drawback, at least for my needs, seems to be size and the probable need for some sort of trailer rather than a rooftop scenario. I think I'll wind up making some sort of double trailer and start out with a big yak, then make the decision on what to get for the second one off of that experience.

I love bfish's chain rudder idea too, we have already exchanged a few pm's and that came up during the conversation. I will try that one before I try a real rudder for sure!
I've put broken outboards on the back of spinny pond boats before just for the rudder effect
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Maybe you need a two person kayak.

I may buy a two man so Merv and I can fish together. Merv could keep the yak under control while I fish. What a way to bond a friendship.
But I'd for shure take sammichs with me cause we shure couldn't survive on the fish SAMBOLIE WOULDN'T catch!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:52 PM

Well, I finally got a couple of Kayaks and just about ready to get them wet.

I found a used Ride 115 and a Hobie Mirage Outback (Hank Parker) for a great price, just got through building a hanging rack on rollers and started the rigging process.
Both came w Paddles, the Hobie came with a roller and a few extra odds and ends.
The pic of the seat in the Ride is to show a repair I made, the guy I bought it from had broken the back in half, I'm not sure how but if it happens to anyone else with that seat, a couple of pieces of 1/2" PVC will fix it

I Should be fishing within a few days if things go right

Here's some pics, and thanks for all of the advice!
Thx,
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yak Rack - 3-20-2015.JPG (660.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Yak Rack - 3-20-2015 (2).JPG (497.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Yak Rack - 3-20-2015 (3).JPG (772.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Yak Rack - 3-20-2015 (4).JPG (444.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Congrats!

Regards