FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-23-2020, 12:57 AM

Default Dale Hollow Regs

I'm curious as to hear what your interpretations are of the following two DH Regs..

Dale Hollow
Quote:
• All Species: No more than 4 rods and reels per angler may be used.
Ok, does this mean 4 rods in the boat in any one time per person or 4 rods in use at one time ? I mean I've seen guys have 20 rods in their boats all rigged with a different lure

Quote:
• Smallmouth Bass: 2 per day, 16–21 inch PLR.
One fish may be under 16 inches and one
may be over 21 inches. Includes Wolf River
upstream to South Ford Road bridge.
The key word is May Be... Does this also mean one can have 2 under 16 or two above 21 is allowed ?

The reason I ask is because if they meant only one of each then wouldn't the regs state "Must Be" or "No more than one of each"... ?

As it was pointed out to me, Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Always Learning

Hey Flatline,

Good question!

To me, it seems like boaters are only allowed a maximum of four lines in the water at a time per angler. For example when I see boats with a lot of crappie setups fanned out across the front of the bow, which looks like a lot of fun, this rule would kind of keep things from getting out of control. I blew past the four rod count for me in my boat years ago. I'll take 8 to 10 rods and end up using two all day. I just want to be prepared for the fish apocalypse, I guess.
As for the smallmouth, that's interesting. I never keep any bass, but I would think they mean one below and one above the PLR and they are using "may" as permissive, rather than as a possibility. Maybe the thought is that if an angler takes two over 21" out, that leaves one less able to spawn and pass on the gene. As well as the ones under 16", that means one more gone that could eventually become a 21" plus fish.

These are just my "interpretations" during morning coffee.

I imagine you could get the most accurate and concise answer from the Region 3 (Includes Dale Hollow) Creel Clerk for TWRA. They would know best it seems, and would also be able to explain the reasoning as well.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culprit7.5 View Post
Hey Flatline,

Good question!

To me, it seems like boaters are only allowed a maximum of four lines in the water at a time per angler. For example when I see boats with a lot of crappie setups fanned out across the front of the bow, which looks like a lot of fun, this rule would kind of keep things from getting out of control. I blew past the four rod count for me in my boat years ago. I'll take 8 to 10 rods and end up using two all day. I just want to be prepared for the fish apocalypse, I guess.
As for the smallmouth, that's interesting. I never keep any bass, but I would think they mean one below and one above the PLR and they are using "may" as permissive, rather than as a possibility. Maybe the thought is that if an angler takes two over 21" out, that leaves one less able to spawn and pass on the gene. As well as the ones under 16", that means one more gone that could eventually become a 21" plus fish.

These are just my "interpretations" during morning coffee.

I imagine you could get the most accurate and concise answer from the Region 3 (Includes Dale Hollow) Creel Clerk for TWRA. They would know best it seems, and would also be able to explain the reasoning as well.

Well as of 11:30 this morning I spoke with a younger guy (warden) and you are correct on the 4 rod use rule.. only lines in the water at a time. Forget speaking with the lady in the office, she admittedly was clueless.

However he could NOT positively tell me. Yea that's right... not with a 100% certaincy. He said his interpretation was one under 16" and 1 over 21" but agreed that the term "May Be" was not clear. He said he would call me after he spoke to his supervisor.

I'm no idiot and I do my best to follow the laws, but anyone new to fishing or new to the area that isn't familiar with fishing acronym could easily be confused with vaguely written regs, especially when you compare the regs to other lake regs that are exact... Which the warden did agree with me.

If were to write it... No Small mouth shall be harvested between 16" and 21". A maximum of 2 Small Mouth can be harvested per day. Only one under 16" and or one over 21" is allow.

To me that is very clear and decisive.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Well as of 11:30 this morning I spoke with a younger guy (warden) and you are correct on the 4 rod use rule.. only lines in the water at a time. Forget speaking with the lady in the office, she admittedly was clueless.

However he could NOT positively tell me. Yea that's right... not with a 100% certaincy. He said his interpretation was one under 16" and 1 over 21" but agreed that the term "May Be" was not clear. He said he would call me after he spoke to his supervisor.

I'm no idiot and I do my best to follow the laws, but anyone new to fishing or new to the area that isn't familiar with fishing acronym could easily be confused with vaguely written regs, especially when you compare the regs to other lake regs that are exact... Which the warden did agree with me.

If were to write it... No Small mouth shall be harvested between 16" and 21". A maximum of 2 Small Mouth can be harvested per day. Only one under 16" and or one over 21" is allow.

To me that is very clear and decisive.

LOL, catch fish have fun.

Congrats Andy on your PB SM!
Old 04-24-2020, 11:35 AM

It is plain as day. You are just not reading it correctly
2 smallmouth 16-21 inches PLR
1 may be under 16 inches
AND (that is the key word)
1 may be over 21 inches