FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Default OH Bass?

I struggled to put much of anything together this AM. If anyone figured them out I'd appreciate some advice. We hit some grass pretty early with no fish, a drop off area that had bass on it last week- one fish, and the only place we found any multiples was on an offshore tree. It was like July out there for me this AM. Thanks
Old 05-25-2019, 08:06 PM

I've got some good advice for you. There are much better lakes in middle TN for bass fishing. Unless you just have no other option then I wouldn't spend a lot of my time there. I hope this isn't coming off wrong. It's just that I've beat myself up over that lake so much that I try not to fish it much anymore. I used to fish it 3 days a week. It can be so brutal. Hope you catch'em better next time.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 PM

I hear you but I can throw a rock and almost hit it so it is really inconvenient to go elsewhere. It can definitely be maddening, but normally I have kind of a seasonal progression I can work my way through, but it just was really sideways for me today.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:12 AM
Fishing Fool

OH kicked me in the balls yesterday morning too. I thought I’d get in on some shad spawn but apparently that has come and gone during a one week period!!! Idk how that’s happened!! Last year it lasted 3 weeks! I found fish offshore but couldn’t get them to bite. So to salvage my day I fished bluff walls with a ned rig. Caught 10-12, but nothing worth talking about. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAddict View Post
I hear you but I can throw a rock and almost hit it so it is really inconvenient to go elsewhere. It can definitely be maddening, but normally I have kind of a seasonal progression I can work my way through, but it just was really sideways for me today.
I understand completely. I live about 3 minutes from Bledsoe Creek. That's why I used to fish OH exclusively. I had just started bass fishing and just purchased my first boat. I was kind of intimidated to try new lakes. I fish JPP, Center Hill, and Dale Hollow most of the time now. I spend a lot more in time and fuel to travel now but it's worth it to me. It's an hour to JPP, an hour and 15 to CH, and 1.5 hours to DH. I can tell you that traveling around has made me a much better fisherman to. Before I left OH I was intimidated by fishing any deeper than 10 feet. Now fishing 20-40 feet is very normal. One tip for OH this time of year that I can give you is to fish marinas. A lot of post spawn fish will get under the marina docks and suspend in 20-30 feet of water. My best bait was swimming a jig. I would pitch it as far back in those slips as I could and just yo-yo my jig back just under the floating docks. A spinnerbait and a hollow body frog work good as well. The marina fish don't get near as much pressure either. Hope this tip helps you out on catching more fish. Good luck on the Hick.

P.S. A really big jig with a really big hook can be better than a smaller one. Get the biggest chunks you can find for the trailer and don't thread it on the hook. Just stick it through the chunk part as close to the edge as you can. You want that chunk as far away from the head of the jig as you can get. It makes a big presentation but the flat side of that chunk catches a lot of water and slows the fall rate a lot on that big jig.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 05-26-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the advice...I do fish some docks, but I'll trya jig. I tend to do plastics for that but the jog could be better. Sounds like good advice. I need to learn how to offshore fish, when they move out there I tend to go fish for other species. I know that as the water flows, so goes the Hick. Been in a love-hate relationship with her for 30 years. My wife is more predictable than she is.........