FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Default Bait Casting Reels

I'm currently in the market for 2-3 casting reels, in 7.2:1+ ratio. Recently a few reels in the 8.5:1 range have come out, and I'm intrigued by these, that's blazing fast, I could get a jig back in 3 seconds which would increase bait in the strike zone time by 5-7 or more minutes a day "I just made that up".

Here's what I currently throw as my main bass gear, I have other reels for swimbaits, and Alabama Rigs, but looking for a few more jig, texas rig, spinner or buzz bait reels.

Shimano Core 100MG
Shimano Core 51MG7
(2) Shimano Curado 200E7
Shimano Curado 201E7
Shimano Curado 201G5
Shimano Curado 200G6
Daiwa T3 1016

My Shimano's are 3 years old besides the G6 which is one year old. I've also thought about giving them a good cleaning, replacing the drags and putting them up for sale.

If I do sale I'm considering more Core's, and throwing in a few Chronarch's, and the Metanium also intrigues me. I'm not a must have Shimano guy I also like the Daiwa reels and the T3 1016HL is one of my favorites so I've been eying the Team Daiwa Zillion, and the PX Type R which is the Pixy and would be for baits less than 1/4oz.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Make sure you check out the inches per turn (IPT) especially on the smaller pixy size reels. 8.5:1 on those smaller spools may actually be a less distance per turn than 7.1:1 on a larger spool. But you probably already know that.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Fishing TN Staff

You're exactly right bfish. I made a spreadsheet of all the reels I'm interested in with the Make, Model, Retrieve L/R, Gear Ratio, Weight, Bearings, Drag in #'s, inches/crank, line capacity, and price. I've actually maybe have dropped the Pixy for the Abu Garcia Revo LTX. I'm also looking at the MSRP vs. resale value. The ones with in red I've knocked off the original list, and doing more research on all the others.

Metanium MET101XG
Chronarch 151 CI4+
Core 51MG
Chronarch CH51E
Chronarch 201E CH201E7
Curado 201I CU201I
Curado 201IHG CU201IHG
T3 1016HL
PX Type-R PXL-R
Team Daiwa Zillion TDZLN100SHLA
REVO LTX 1242949
REVO STX Gen 3 1264558
REVO STX Gen 3 1265420
REVO Premier Gen 3 1264554

Last edited by Reel Tune; 10-19-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Fishing TN Staff

I think I've made up my mind. I think I'm going to get (3-4) more Daiwa T3 1016's and then go through all my Curado's and replace drags, clean bearings and re-lube. The Daiwa T3's are great reels and very versatile.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
I think I've made up my mind. I think I'm going to get (3-4) more Daiwa T3 1016's and then go through all my Curado's and replace drags, clean bearings and re-lube. The Daiwa T3's are great reels and very versatile.
???? Why replace the drags???? You have not posted any reports of catching fish that would wear out a drag.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
???? Why replace the drags???? You have not posted any reports of catching fish that would wear out a drag.

I like it!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I like it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueCat.jpg (265.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg FatSpot.jpg (2.26 MB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Hybrid.JPG (25.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Lousiana_Striper.jpg (666.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Spotted Gar.jpg (3.15 MB, 43 views)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:05 PM

Hmm.......

That water looks fantastic behind that Spot.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Yes, that was a once in a lifetime trip. Caught 15-20 spots from 16-19" in about 3.5hrs. Water clarity was about 15', and I was able to sight fish them with jigs, and shakey heads, and also yo-yoing a Red Eye Shad was very productive. Actually I caught fish on almost everything I threw. I am very fortunate to have very good friends that invite me along sometimes.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 AM

Hi, Im a new member and I wanted chime in on this subject. I have a couple of the reels you are considering, the Metanium XG and the Revo LTZ(same spool and braking system as the LTX). If you don't mind ordering from Japan you can save a lot of money and have more options. Ive ordered reels and rods from Japan with no issues.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Thanks for the reply and welcome to the forum.
I decided that since money was tight at the moment with a big Texas trip that we just took, and the holidays coming up I would go more economical. I ended up going with two Shimano Chronarch CI4 150's, and two Team Daiwa Zillion's. I'm liking the Chronarch CI4's better than the Zillions, they feel a little more refined.

I am a fan of Japan Tackle and visit their site all the time, I've ordered a few things from Hedgehog Studios in Japan and the wait wasn't as bad as what I had thought.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Sounds like you are an enthusiast like me. Are you on tackletour?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Yeah I'm on Tackle Tour, Swimbait Nation, and Tackle Underground are a few other forums I frequent. I don't post much on Tackle Tour, but have been browsing for a few years.

I wouldn't say all out enthusiast, because those guys make me look like chump change with their $1000+ combos, and 50K glitter rockets, but I do enjoy good quality equipment.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 PM

Here's my take...

Whatever hunting or fishing gear I buy, I buy the best I can possibly afford. If it doesn't start with a B, I don't buy that shotgun. I have Browning, Beretta, and Benelli in my arsenal. My primary handguns all start with a G

I don't own a single fishing reel that's not Shimano. 4 Chronarchs, 4 Curados, 1 Calcutta and 8 assorted spinning reels. Same in the rod department.

The very reason I buy the best is so it will last years without any problems. If you want a new reel, just go buy it. There's no way you have gotten the life out of those Shimano reels. I expect at least another 10 years of life out of mine, if not more. Buy once, cry once.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:59 AM
Fishing TN Staff

I agree Pokie, if you are buying anything do it right or save the money to do it right. I know I haven't gotten all the mileage out of my Curado E Series, but I have a few right hand cranking reels and I'm trying to get everything over to left hand crank. I do all my own service on guns and reels. I supertune reels, make my own drags, polish, and modify. My reels are in 100% mechanical working condition, maybe a little boat rash or a small cosmetic blemish, but as for mechanical condition and cleanliness they are pristine.

I like my Shimano's, but I have some Daiwa's that will go head to head with my Shimano's. I received 8 Revo SX's for service last week, and they are ok, but nothing special. After some time working on the inside they are better, but still not as good as my factory Curado E Series. The only thing the Revo has on my Curado's is drag pressure, but who really cares about drag pressure over 11lbs anyway especially in freshwater. I would rather have a silky smooth 5-6lb drag than a non constant 20lb drag.

Here's my bench
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141028_200905[1].jpg (2.03 MB, 30 views)