FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 PM

Default Line counter reel accuracy.

As most of you know, I enjoy trolling for Hybrids and Stripers with multiple rods, as many as eight at the same time. Part of the approach is to use line counter reels to get consistency in lure presentation. Last year I purchased three new Okuma Convectors and sent three more to get repaired ($25 each). This is representative of most years. I watched an Okuma video the other day that discussed calibrations for line counter reels. Seems they are designed to be accurate using 20 pound mono with the spool full.

I discovered a product from Power Pro called “Depth Hunter”. Similar to lead ore, the line has colors ...

There are four colors that are 25 feet each. The colors repeat every 100 feet. The line also has marks every five feet. I ordered a spool from Amazon and loaded two Shimano Cardiff 400A reels for testing. I spooled each reel and cut the line between two colors.

I proceeded to go to the back yard and secure the duo-lock snap to a rail on the boat. The reel was put into free spool and two colors plus 5 feet was let out for a total of 55 feet. Pulled the line tight and laid the rod on the ground.

Then proceeded to attach a rod with a line counter reel to the same rail on the boat, zeroed the line counter and let out line until the line counter read 55. Pulled the line tight and laid rod on the ground next to the first rod. The line counter rod and reel lacked about five feet reaching the distance of the original rod with the Power Pro Depth Hunter achieved. The line counter reel had a full spool (had just added new line).

I did the same test with three more line counter reels with differing amounts of line. The differences ranged from five to ten feet when compared to the Depth Hunter rod.

Will be on the water for the next two days and will test the new line. I hope to be able to switch away from line counter reels in the future. Will keep you posted on the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

I have been out a couple of times trolling Arigs and have used the Power Pro Depth Hunter line. It works very well. I have the end of the line where the colors change (in my case between the yellow and green). The color sequence is Green - Orange - Blue - Yellow. The five foot marks are very easy to see. There is a section about six inches long that is white with a one inch section that is black (centered on the white) so visibility is very good.

I have the line on four Shimano Cardiff reels, two 300A and two 400A models. They call these "poor man's Calcuttas". They cast very good and are smooth. The Convector line counter reels have larger handles and are much lower geared than the Cardiffs. Convectors are available as a non-line counter models and that might be the best reel to use with the Depth Hunter line. I have two Convectors coming back this week from repair and I may try the line on them. Could probably take the line counter mechanisms out and use the reels as simple level winds as a test.

Fishing has been very good during the past week. Went yesterday morning before the storms expecting to hammer them. The fish were no where to be found. Finally hooked one with a Urig but had the drag set too tight and the fish twisted a 5/0 Saltwater jig hook. Was about to give up and checked out one more place before the storms hit and WHAM! The fish were there. Was trolling my big fish Arig setups and had six rods out. Hooked up on all six a couple of times! Left feeding fish because of the impending storms. Waited until the last minute and wound out the 200 Verado all the way to the boat ramp. Got there just in time! Fuel flow was showing about 20 gallons/hour! That is just four gallons of fuel. A small price to pay for an additional 12 minutes of "catching"!

Last edited by aero320; 03-20-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Fishing Fool

When your good your good!! Thanks for the detailed, informational write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 07:35 PM

There has never been a substitute for luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
When your good your good!! Thanks for the detailed, informational write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 10:59 AM

Sounds like a good ole Chinese Fire Drill clearing all of your rods a couple times! Do you use any leader line to act as a shock absorber for the braid?

I just calibrated all of my line counters a couple weeks ago. I struggled with my U-Rigs last year and just never felt like I was getting them to depth. Turns out they probably were not. 4 Penn 209LC reels were only letting out around 70' of line when they read 100ft. My 2 Shimano Tekotas were not quite as far off but still were about 15ft short on 100ft reading.

It would be nice if there was some sort of on-reel calibration for the counters so that you could compensate when you snag/have to cut out some tangled line. The multi color braid seems like a pretty good working substitute. I'll have to pick some of that stuff up when it's time to respool. Does it come in a variety of sizes?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatNFish View Post
Sounds like a good ole Chinese Fire Drill clearing all of your rods a couple times! Do you use any leader line to act as a shock absorber for the braid?

I just calibrated all of my line counters a couple weeks ago. I struggled with my U-Rigs last year and just never felt like I was getting them to depth. Turns out they probably were not. 4 Penn 209LC reels were only letting out around 70' of line when they read 100ft. My 2 Shimano Tekotas were not quite as far off but still were about 15ft short on 100ft reading.

It would be nice if there was some sort of on-reel calibration for the counters so that you could compensate when you snag/have to cut out some tangled line. The multi color braid seems like a pretty good working substitute. I'll have to pick some of that stuff up when it's time to respool. Does it come in a variety of sizes?
What really matters is not how many feet of line is actually out, but rather how deep is the lure running. If the line level of the spools is equal, the lures should be running the same depth. I use the Smart Troll system to determine lure depth. Once the desired lure depth is determined, record the reading on the line counter.