FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-30-2017, 02:14 PM

Cool Monster Cat or Sturgeon

Hit 2 foot on OHL with a swim bait and locked into something that was a strange feeling fish.

I could never get the fish to turn using 12 lbs Trilene and rather than diving or making a long run it ran up shallow around some rocks but I just could not get it's head turned to me yet every now and then it would pull and make slow jerks.

Only think I can think is a Sturgeon snagged or a 100 lbs plus cat that just knew how to survive he won after a 15 min battle!

Finally I pulled too hard and the line gave but that sucker was smart going up in the rocks.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:04 PM

Flathead catfish. They fight like hell and burrow into cover. Hooked a 20+ pounder in shallow water on a square bill with a 7'9" cranking rod and 12lb mono. Fought that fish almost 30 minutes and chased him down with the trolling motor. Bent the treble hook, they don't give up.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:43 PM

On Old Hick, right now, the flatheads are biting good. I'd be willing to bet thats what it was. 100 lbs + though, maybe not. A 30 lber though would easily do exactly what your speaking of. I love catching flatheads, they are one of the most powerful fish I've ever caught.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:19 AM

Red face

100 was just my dignity.

Did not even know he was on the hook, then he started moving and had a couple small head jerks and super slow run then He headed to shore into the boulders there on the point 3-5 foot from the bank and would not budge I tried for 10 mins then pulled to hard and it was over.

That ole cat won the day.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 AM

I had a similar experience this weekend on Old Hick, I had a blue cat latch onto my deep diving crankbait.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk