FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 12-31-2018, 05:09 PM

Default Bandit 200 or 300

I'm just wondering what the preferred choice is for trolling Crappie on Priest? Also color...I'm going to give this a try this season.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:44 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Bandits .... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I'm just wondering what the preferred choice is for trolling Crappie on Priest? Also color...I'm going to give this a try this season.
Snowman, if you will go look in the top right hand corner of any page on this site you will see Google Search.... Type in Bandit lures and pick the FishingTN.com feature and then search. Also on the local fishing page, the 8th post down is a article I wrote that covered some bandit baits... Titled Most fantastic fishing in years or something like that ?... <'TK><
Old 12-31-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanks TK! I'm anxious to expand out this season
Old 01-01-2019, 11:55 AM

but there are plenty of others that work well (or even better). Bandits were preferred for many years due to low cost and wide variety of colors, now that they are part of PRADCO they've jumped up in price and their color chart is about half the size that it use to be.

10-16 ft depth range is what you want. Sometimes wider wobble, others times more narrow wobble.

Picos, Arkies, StrikeKing, LuckyEStrike, Storm,Manns, plus storebrands from BPS/Cabelas/Academy etc

When you get really serious you start buying Specialmate Crankbait boxes (holds 128) and yes box is plural.

Last edited by bfish; 01-01-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post

but there are plenty of others that work well (or even better). Bandits were preferred for many years due to low cost and wide variety of colors, now that they are part of PRADCO they've jumped up in price and their color chart is about half the size that it use to be.

10-16 ft depth range is what you want. Sometimes wider wobble, others times more narrow wobble.

Picos, Arkies, StrikeKing, LuckyEStrike, Storm,Manns, plus storebrands from BPS/Cabelas/Academy etc

When you get really serious you start buying Specialmate Crankbait boxes (holds 128) and yes box is plural.
That's good stuff right there...Thanks bfish!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Dakota S

In the summer time on priest I primarily troll for Crappie using Strike King Crappie cranks or Crappie maxx from bass pro. When the water temp gets 75-80 it’s on. I stay in about 25 ft of water with cranks around 15 or so. I like to use 20lb power pro moss braid with 12 lb mono leader because I troll around brush. I don’t snap off many at all. Don’t set the drag to tight. If I get hung up I do have a lure retriever that works 75% of the time. Plus you’ll catch a little bit of everything. Oh I use my electronics a lot! Dakota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
In the summer time on priest I primarily troll for Crappie using Strike King Crappie cranks or Crappie maxx from bass pro. When the water temp gets 75-80 it’s on. I stay in about 25 ft of water with cranks around 15 or so. I like to use 20lb power pro moss braid with 12 lb mono leader because I troll around brush. I don’t snap off many at all. Don’t set the drag to tight. If I get hung up I do have a lure retriever that works 75% of the time. Plus you’ll catch a little bit of everything. Oh I use my electronics a lot! Dakota

Thanks Dakota! More good stuff..I hope it works out to getting "boxes"!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:26 PM

200 are good for pushing. I tend to do both at the same time.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

Mind me asking what your most consistent colors are? I slow troll live minnows around brush and do pretty good but crankbaits would allow me to set out 4 rods to cover more water.
Ive had good luck when trolling little light spoons too. Weigh next to nothing so ya gotta be good with 3-way rigs or inline sinkers to get to the right depth.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 PM

Keep it simple when starting. IMO bottom color is more important than side/back.

A few light, a few shiny, a few dull, and a few dark. Then if any of those are having much greater success, add more within that spectrum. It changes everyday, sometimes even by the hour.

For those trying to tickle brush, spider-rigging and pushing are much better option. Longlining shines on the flats or for scattered fish.

IMO most starting out don't move fast enough and don't let out enough line. Also pushing/pulling can work year around, I've had good days in all 12 months.

My dad and my boys from a few years ago, all caught on cranks in about 4 hours of fishing.

Last edited by bfish; 01-02-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
Keep it simple when starting. IMO bottom color is more important than side/back.

A few light, a few shiny, a few dull, and a few dark. Then if any of those are having much greater success, add more within that spectrum. It changes everyday, sometimes even by the hour.

For those trying to tickle brush, spider-rigging and pushing are much better option. Longlining shines on the flats or for scattered fish.

IMO most starting out don't move fast enough and don't let out enough line. Also pushing/pulling can work year around, I've had good days in all 12 months.

My dad and my boys from a few years ago, all caught on cranks in about 4 hours of fishing.

Great info guys! Is that bottom left fish a yellow perch?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 PM

Keen eye on the perch. Pics not from Priest but from a east TN river reservoir. We pick up about 12 of them a year, and all of them would qualify for TN master angler (11", if I remember correctly that one was 14").
Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the great info!